Using DITA-OT Project Files in Oxygen

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
chrispitude

Using DITA-OT Project Files in Oxygen

Post by chrispitude »

Hi all,

In the new features list for Oxygen XML Author 22.0, I was intrigued by the mention of DITA-OT project files!

One mistake I initially made was thinking that this was a new type of Oxygen project file (*.xpr), but it's not; a "DITA-OT project file" is a new feature in DITA-OT 3.4 that allows you to define all your deliverables (map, DITAVAL, transformation type, output directory, etc.):

https://www.dita-ot.org/dev/topics/usin ... files.html

Oxygen can now load this DITA-OT project file (from within your existing Oxygen project!) and make use of the information:

https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... oject.html

The more I experiment with the sample "mobile-phone" project in the Oxygen installation, the more I become convinced that this feature will be crucial for supporting the large number of deliverables my team will soon be working with.

One limitation I noticed was that DITA-OT project files currently do not support separate DITAVAL files for filtering (input side) and flagging (output side), so I filed a DITA-OT enhancement request here:

https://github.com/dita-ot/dita-ot/issues/3474

I also noticed the following issues in Oxygen:
  • The DITA Maps Manager context list shows only 20 context entries, despite more being defined.
  • They are not sorted in any particular order that I can tell.
  • When I have a ditamap loaded, all contexts are still listed, instead of just the contexts that pertain to that map.
Radu

Re: Using DITA-OT Project Files in Oxygen

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Based on this feedback and on separate emails exchanged with Chris:
The DITA Maps Manager context list shows only 20 context entries, despite more being defined.
We added an internal issue with ID EXM-45201.
They are not sorted in any particular order that I can tell.
I added a new issue with ID EXM-45204. I suspect right now the entries in the combo box might appear in the same order in which the individual context elements appeared in the dita ot project file. Should we try to display them alphabetically?
When I have a ditamap loaded, all contexts are still listed, instead of just the contexts that pertain to that map.
We added an internal issue with ID EXM-45202.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
chrispitude

Re: Using DITA-OT Project Files in Oxygen

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Radu,
Radu wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:40 amI added a new issue with ID EXM-45204. I suspect right now the entries in the combo box might appear in the same order in which the individual context elements appeared in the dita ot project file. Should we try to display them alphabetically?
Alphanumerically would be good, just so the user has some method of locating a particular name in the list.
Radu wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:40 amWe added an internal issue with ID EXM-45202.

and from your email:

Problem is that right now the Context combo box is a global setting and it's internal list of items and the current selected item do not depend at all on what DITA Map is currently opened and selected in the DITA Maps Manager. In a way this makes sense because you may open DITA submaps and you still want the context combo box to display all possible contexts. At the same time I understand your usecase, we will need some more internal discussions about this. Maybe as a compromise we may be able for example to promote in the list of items presented in the combo box those items which indeed represent contexts for the current opened DITA Map.
Your promotion idea is a good one! We could move the directly relevant entries to the top, then a divider, then show the rest of the entries.

I'm very excited about the potential for how DITA-OT project files could help refine the Oxygen authoring experience for the writers!