Automatically set @keys attribute for new topics

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
chrispitude

Automatically set @keys attribute for new topics

Post by chrispitude »

An increasingly common DITA best-practice is to define @keys values for all topic references, then use keyrefs instead of hrefs for references to topics and their contents.

Currently, users must remember to set the @keys value each time they create a new topic in the map. This is error-prone.

It would be great if Oxygen could provide an option to set this automatically:
new_topic_keys.png
new_topic_keys.png (36.66 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
Radu

Re: Automatically set @keys attribute for new topics

Post by Radu »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion, based on a previous request of yours we have an issue logged with ID EXM-40196.
We'll update this forum thread when the issue is implemented.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
sorin_carbunaru

Post by sorin_carbunaru »

Hello Chris,

It's been done in Oxygen 22.1. You can find some more info at https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... opics.html (look for Use the file name as the value of the "keys" attribute for topic references).

Best wishes,
Sorin Carbunaru
oXygen XML
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hello! We're using Oxygen v23. (Impressive release, by the way!)

I noticed something interesting today. The DITA > Maps > Use file name as the value of the "keys" attribute setting affects <mapref> elements as well as <topicref> elements. For example, if I add a peer map reference (@scope="peer", @processing-role="resource-only", @keyscope defined):

image.png
image.png (10.42 KiB) Viewed 2234 times

then the resulting <mapref> also has @keys defined:

image.png
image.png (3.93 KiB) Viewed 2234 times

which I can confirm by going back into Edit Properties:

image.png
image.png (7.16 KiB) Viewed 2234 times

But even if I delete the mapref's @keys value there, it gets recreated when I exit the Edit Properties dialog.

I understand the use of having a topicref with @keys, but not a mapref with @keys. Is this a useful behavior to have? What does it allow me to do? Is it harmless, or could it cause an unintentional key namespace collision?

Thanks!
sorin_carbunaru

Hi Chris!

The <mapref> element is, in the end, just a convenience element that is equivalent to a <topicref> with the @format attribute set to "ditamap". Therefore, I would say it's normal for the <mapref> to also get a @keys attribute, just like other references do. You can later use the key name to refer the map using @keyref. And I don't think it's harmful.

In regards to the fact that you cannot remove the key using the "Edit Properties" dialog, I am afraid I cannot reproduce this behavior... After I click OK, the @keys attribute is removed.

Best wishes,
Sorin Carbunaru
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Sorin,

I found that the key is removed if you delete it and hit OK, but it comes back if you go back into the editing window and make some other change (or even nothing, as shown below) then hit OK:

key_redefined.gif
key_redefined.gif (153.64 KiB) Viewed 2099 times

If this is a bug, it's a very minor one. I'll leave it to you to decide whether you want to file it. This behavior is not causing us any issues.
sorin_carbunaru

Hi Chris,

Now I am able to reproduce the bug. Thank you for the info! I created EXM-47008 :).

All the best,
Sorin C.