Customize HTML page layout files

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
catherine

Customize HTML page layout files

Post by catherine »

Hi,
I was using Oxygen 20.0, and I customized the HTML page layout files, such as the index page layout and the topic page layout.
I added my customized js, and div codes in the page layout files to achieve the followings:
Adding a PDF download button on each topic page.
Adding topic information such as author and update date in each topic page.

All worked well if I published the webhelp using Oxygen 20.0.

These days, I updated the Oxygen to 22.0, I even tested on Oxygen 21, the new Oxygen could not read my customized page layout files.
After publishing webhelp, no index.html, search.html, terms.html are found in the webhelp output folder.
I also noticed a Warning is added in your user manual:
"Warning: It is no longer recommended for you to customize these files because if you upgrade to a newer version of Oxygen, those files may no longer produce the desired results and if new components have been added, you won't have access to them."

How to solve this problem, or should I stay in the old version Oxygen 20.0?
Costin

Re: Customize HTML page layout files

Post by Costin »

Hi Catherine,

A lot of changes may have occurred since the old version 20, so it is not guaranteed that the publishing template customization that you developed for a specific older version will work by default also with a newer version, without migrating them first through some simple steps.
More specific, keeping also a backup of your version 20 installation together with all your customization, you should follow the two publishing templates migration procedures from the User-Guide, to
- migrate the publishing templates to v21
then
- migrate the publishing templates to v22
in this exact order.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
catherine

Re: Customize HTML page layout files

Post by catherine »

Thanks for your patient guidance.

I will follow your user guides, thanks so much. :)