When Opening a Map.. do both options

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
kirkilj

When Opening a Map.. do both options

Post by kirkilj »

In the DITA Preferences section, there's an area for selecting what to do when opening a DITA Map. The options provided are:
  • Always open in the DITA Maps Manager
  • Always open as XML
  • Always ask
I usually like to work in both at the same time, so I always open in XML by default and then have to right-click on the file's tab in the editor and choose "Open in DITA Maps Manager".

I'd like to have a 4th option, which might be located above "Always Ask":
  • Always open in both
Radu

Re: When Opening a Map.. do both options

Post by Radu »

Hi John,

Thanks for the request, we added an internal issue for it.
Maybe as a workaround you can choose to always open the DITA Map in the DITA Maps Manager and double click the map root element to open the map in the editing area.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Lately I find myself opening both the "DITA Maps Manager" and the "Map With Resolved Topics" views at the same time.
kirkilj

Post by kirkilj »

Everyone's workflow and content is different. I will render resolved maps on an exception basis only, when I have time to wait for hundreds of pages to render. It all depends on the size of our docs.This was especially an issue at a prior job a few years ago when my custom CSS styles were not yet be optimized.

In any case, maybe these options could be a set of checkboxes rather than a radio button group. It would allow a user to configure their map viewing preferences in multiple ways. Yours might be something like

O Always Ask
O Always Open in: [x] DITA Maps Manager [x] Editor ( O Text O Simple Author mode O Resolved Author Mode )
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi John,

Thanks for the detailed idea, I added your feedback to the opened issue.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com