How to insert a TopicID?

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
RBVanDyke

How to insert a TopicID?

Post by RBVanDyke »

I suspect my question has been asked and answered before but Search isn't returning a previous instance. So I'll ask (again)...

In a DITA topic file, IF I want to insert a new / fresh value for the topic's ID, how (besides Quick Fix) can I do that?

For example, I have an empty ID spec ala id="". I want to put the insertion point between the quotation marks and insert a unique topic ID like the one oXygen creates for a newly created topic.

So far the only way I've found to generate a fresh is to use the Quick Fix feature that puts a light bulb icon to the left of the line with the empty topic ID. That's acceptable/

BUT I'd rather be able to (a) select something like "Generate unique topic ID" from a menu, OR better yet (b) use a keyboard shortcut.

So does a Insert New Topic ID menu item or command exist?

Thanks,
Riley
SFO
Radu

Re: How to insert a TopicID?

Post by Radu »

Hi Riley,

In the Outline view select the topic root, right click, Edit attributes, and for the "ID" attribute value you should have a magic wand which when pressed should generate a new value for you. I think this feature was added around Oxygen 21.1.
Or if the ID attribute is empty, select the entire topic element, right click in the Author visual editing mode and choose "Generate ID".

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
RBVanDyke

Re: How to insert a TopicID?

Post by RBVanDyke »

Thanks Radu. It was a bit un-obvious where to find it. But now that I have it works. Cheers, Riley SFO