Using a more recent PDF version for PDF production

chrispitude

Using a more recent PDF version for PDF production

Post by chrispitude » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:38 pm

Currently, PDF Chemistry creates PDF version 1.4 files (May 2001).

PDF version 1.5 (April 2003) provides additional content compression features. PDF version 1.6 (January 2005) allows OpenType fonts to be directly embedded instead of converted to TrueType/Type 1.

Is there a way to configure PDF Chemistry to use a newer PDF version for PDF creation?

Costin

Re: Using a more recent PDF version for PDF production

Post by Costin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:07 pm

Hi Chris,

Our politics is to use the minimal PDF version, in order to avoid any compatibility issues.
Changing the version is not possible by default - that's not something that could be easily achieved through a dedicated parameter or something/

However, we will investigate internally to see if we implementing a newer PDF version would be viable and, if we will decide to implement something in this direction, we will let you know.

Kind Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support

chrispitude

Re: Using a more recent PDF version for PDF production

Post by chrispitude » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Thanks Costin! If it was a parameter that could be exposed to the user, it would have been nice. But if it's not a simple thing to provide, then I agree that a lower default version is best to ensure support with all devices (including e-readers and such with limited processing power).

I am looking into using Ghostscript to reencode the PDF files to v1.6 without loss. If I find the solution, I will post it here.

Thanks!