Option to Not Save Associated Transformation Scenarios to Project File

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
dreifsnider

Option to Not Save Associated Transformation Scenarios to Project File

Post by dreifsnider »

Hello,

My team currently uses Git to source all our project files, including the actual Oxygen product file (.xpr).

We store this project file in one repository that we all interact with. When using the project file, we often run into git conflicts for the associated transformation scenarios, because different team members run different transformation scenarios on the same ditamaps.

We'd like the option to not save the associated transformation scenario to the project file. We still want to share the same set of defined transformation scenarios in the project file though.

Thanks!

Daniel
Stereotaxis

Re: Option to Not Save Associated Transformation Scenarios to Project File

Post by Stereotaxis »

I am not sure on how to suggest, looking forward to see the suggestions of others.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

We are aware of this problem and will work to provide on our side settings to control if the scenario associations should be saved inside the project XPR file or not. We'll update this forum thread when a fix becomes available.
In the meantime maybe you can create an XPR document that is committed to Git but the tech writers would need to duplicate it and use the duplicate XPR in the Oxygen application, so that they never commit by mistake changes in the original XPR.
Something like this:

viewtopic.php?p=56011#p56114

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
dreifsnider

Post by dreifsnider »

Hi Radu,

Thanks for your reply. That's exciting that you're planning on addressing this in a future update and is greatly appreciated!

I implemented the stopgap solution you reference and it appears to be working okay at the moment. To better assist the team, I also implemented a small Git script to automatically copy the "master" project file to the repository's root whenever someone pulls.

Thanks again,

Daniel
Cosmin Duna
Site Admin

Post by Cosmin Duna »

Hello Daniel,

Oxygen 22 is out now and it contains a new preferences page named "Project Level Settings" that allows you to control where to save the scenario association:
https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... tings.html

Best regards,
Cosmin DUNA
Cosmin Duna
<oXygen/> XML Editor
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Cosmin, all,

We are using this feature in our Git-based flow and it works great!
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Cosmin,

We have still been getting spurious instances of writers checking modified project files into Git. Today I found that changing the following three filtering settings will cause the project file to be modified:
image.png
image.png (5.6 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
Choosing a condition from the condition list does not change the project file, but checking/unchecking any of these three options does.

Can you please add the ability for the currently applied filter/coloring/hiding settings to be stored at the project or user level?

Thanks!
Cosmin Duna
Site Admin

Post by Cosmin Duna »

Hi Chris,

I registered an internal issue(EXM-45338) and we will add an option to control the storage location for these profiling settings.

Best regards,
Cosmin DUNA
Cosmin Duna
<oXygen/> XML Editor
Cosmin Duna
Site Admin

Post by Cosmin Duna »

Hi Chris,

Those options should not be saved at the project file level.
Can you please check this again? You should create a new project and make a copy of it. After this, modify the profiling settings and use our "Compare Files" tool (it can be found in the "Tools" menu) to see the differences between these two project files.

Best regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Duna
<oXygen/> XML Editor
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Cosmin,

Only the first and third options cause the project file to change. Here is the diff:

Code: Select all

$ diff 1.xpr 2.xpr
142a143,146
>                         <String>show.colors.and.styles.default.value</String>
>                         <Boolean>true</Boolean>
>                     </entry>
>                     <entry>
$ diff 2.xpr 3.xpr
146,149d145
<                     <entry>
<                         <String>show.excluded.content</String>
<                         <Boolean>false</Boolean>
<                     </entry>
$
I have attached a small testcase.
oxygen_profiling_conditions_project.zip
(4.88 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
Cosmin Duna
Site Admin

Post by Cosmin Duna »

Hi Chris,

These options can also be found in the "Profiling/Conditional Text" and "Profiling/Conditional Text / Colors and Styles" preferences pages. You set to store the options from these pages in the project file (selecting the "Project Options" radio button from the bottom of the page). For this, the project is changed every time you modify the filtering settings from DITA Maps Manager.
I will modify our internal issue to create a separate preferences page for these filtering settings.

Best regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Duna
<oXygen/> XML Editor
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Thanks Cosmin, that would be great! These features are actively changed by the writers to configure their editing window, rather than being a part of the underlying project-level definitions themselves.
dreifsnider

Post by dreifsnider »

Hi Cosmin,

Thank you to everyone at Syncro Soft for their effort on improving the project file settings! We've been using the new project file for some time now and it's been working great!

However, I've noticed one minor, recent issue: the Oxygen version is saved to the project file.
image.png
image.png (23.23 KiB) Viewed 6138 times
This normally wouldn't be a problem; however, with the recent release of Oxygen Author 22.1, we now have constantly modified project files because I tend to update my Oxygen to the latest version much sooner than the rest of my team.

Having the project file constantly modified is causing us a minor headache, especially when the only difference is the version number.

Would it be possible to not save the Oxygen version number to the project file, or is this information essential to the project?

Thanks again!

Daniel
Cosmin Duna
Site Admin

Post by Cosmin Duna »

Hi Daniel,

First, thank you for your feedback. I added an internal issue (EXM-45716) to look into this case, because right now, I'm not sure if this information is required in the project file.

Best regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Duna
<oXygen/> XML Editor
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Cosmin Duna wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:37 amThese options can also be found in the "Profiling/Conditional Text" and "Profiling/Conditional Text/Colors and Styles" preferences pages. You set to store the options from these pages in the project file (selecting the "Project Options" radio button from the bottom of the page). For this, the project is changed every time you modify the filtering settings from DITA Maps Manager.

I will modify our internal issue to create a separate preferences page for these filtering settings.
I hope the separate global/project settings controllability for "Show Profiling Colors and Styles" and "Show Excluded Content" can be implemented in the 23.0 release. This is an ongoing frustration with our writers and with Git.
Cosmin Duna
Site Admin

Post by Cosmin Duna »

I updated our internal issue (EXM-45338), setting a higher priority. We will try to separate these settings in the next version (23.0).

Best regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Duna
<oXygen/> XML Editor
Cosmin Duna
Site Admin

Post by Cosmin Duna »

Hi,
Oxygen 23 is out now and it contains fixes for the last issues reported on this thread:
  • The version attribute was removed from the project file.
  • The settings were separated in the "Profiling/Conditional Text" preferences page.
Best regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Duna
<oXygen/> XML Editor
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Thank you Cosmin! Although it seems like a small thing, this fix was literally the first thing my coworker asked about when I mentioned that Oxygen v23 was released.
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hi all,

I just wanted to share that with the 23.0 release, we have not had a single instance of someone accidentally modifying/committing/pushing the Oxygen .xpr file in our Oxygen/DITA/Git flow. Thank you!