Add "Format and Indent" postprocess option to XSLT Scenario

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
Dirk.Becker

Add "Format and Indent" postprocess option to XSLT Scenario

Post by Dirk.Becker »

Hi,

In some cases I prefer Oxygen's own "Format and Indent" action over the results of xslt:output="xml" xslt:indent="yes", even with spacing specified. The latter is just too - spacious.

Could you please add your algorithm as a post processor option to the XSLT scenarios? Or is it already available as XSLT so I could specify it as additional XSLT?

I understand there is also a "Format and Indent on Open", but I have other files where I have to preserve the original formatting.

Thanks,
Dirk
adrian

Re: Add "Format and Indent" postprocess option to XSLT Scenario

Post by adrian »

Hello,

The "Format and Indent" operation from Oxygen is implemented in Java, it's not available as XSLT.

I have submitted a feature request to our issue tracking tool for a transformation output formatting option. This will be analyzed and implemented in a future version of Oxygen.
We will notify this thread when it is implemented.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
SLDirector

Post by SLDirector »

On May 31, 2016 Adrian responded to Dirk Becker query that format and indent processing could be added to XSLT scenarios in future versions of Oxygen. I'm using version 21.0 but don't see it yet. I also strongly desire this to reduce the default over abundant 3-space indentation. Have I missed the addition? If so please inform me. If not, any progress in implenting this feature?
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello,

It was decided it shall not be implemented, for now. I've added another vote.

One workaround is to configure the transformation scenario to open the result in an editor (Output > Open in Editor) and enable the option "Format and Indent the document on open" (menu > Options > Preferences, Editor > Format, "Format and Indent" subsection). Note, however, that this option will cause all documents to be formatted on open.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Is this also the algorithm used when DITA content is edited or rewrapped?

I've been looking for a way to rewrap all the DITA files in my project. The reason for this is that my FrameMaker-to-DITA conversion code formats it one way, but then Oxygen XML Author formats it another way whenever the files are edited. It would be great if I could format the output of conversion to Oxygen's format, so that the style is consistent from the beginning.
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello chrispitude,
It would be great if I could format the output of conversion to Oxygen's format, so that the style is consistent from the beginning.
In that case you can use the menu > Tools > Format and Indent Files tool on the converted DITA content.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Perfect - thank you Adrian!