What about Git support?

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
hyttinen

Re: What about Git support?

Post by hyttinen »

Hello,

I use the linux version of Oxygen so SourceTree is not an option (only win and mac supported). Any suggestions what to use with the linux version? We also used svn previously but are moving to Git.

Best regards,
Lauri Hyttinen
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

gitk and git-gui are available with most Linux distributions, but aren't close to SourceTree's feature set.
SmartGit is a good alternative to SourceTree and also works on Linux, but it's free only for non-commercial use.
See a list of other Git tools here: https://git-scm.com/download/gui/linux

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
dachary

Post by dachary »

Still no plans to implement Git support? I'm evaluating tools for an organization that uses Git extensively, and this is a big consideration for us.
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Currently there are no plans to implement a Git client into Oxygen.
The only plans regarding Git that are still open to discussion involve implementing support for access to GitHub (just open and save operations) either integrated in Oxygen or in the form of an Oxygen plugin. This is still being discussed and has not been scheduled yet.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

There's one aspect that should be mentioned in this thread regarding GitHub.
While Oxygen doesn't provide a Git or GitHub client, it does provide an SVN Client and GitHub seems to have Support for Subversion clients.
So, you can actually use the SVN Client bundled with Oxygen (Tools menu) to checkout a project from GitHub:
1. On GitHub, navigate to the main page of the repository.
2. Under the repository name, click Clone or download.
3. In the Clone with HTTPs section, click the clipboard icon to copy the clone URL for the repository.
4. Open the SVN Client, go to the Repositories tab and add there the repository URL from the clipboard.
5. Expand the connection and checkout the "trunk" folder.
6. After the checkout has finished go to the "Working copy" tab to find the checked out project.

Do note that you are basically using SVN on GitHub repositories, so the projects are managed as SVN working copies (no Git involved on client side). This means you only have SVN features, no Git specific features.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
amsimms

Post by amsimms »

There appears to be Git client support in the WebAuthor, when will this functionality be available in the Editor? Git is a critical part of our process and we need it in the full Editor product. Is there really no plugin for this?
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Actually one of our interns is working on a Git plugin for Oxygen standalone. Maybe in a month or so we'll have some basic beta version available.
It may be spartan and not have lots of bells or whistles.
Actually I would be interested in what you and everybody else on the thread would consider to be "minimal Git support".

When we release the plugin via our add-on updates site we'll probably also announce it on the Oxygen users list:

https://www.oxygenxml.com/mailman/listinfo/oxygen-user

or on the @oxygenxml Twitter channel.
In the meantime you can use a third party Git client like SourceTree or use the Oxygen plugin for Eclipse as Eclipse has its own plugins for using Git.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
amsimms

Post by amsimms »

That's fantastic news, we'd be happy to look at a beta. Spartan is fine, the most critical item would be integration of Oxygen's document comparison feature for merging content. The basic line-based diff paradigm of version control systems (including git, SVN, Perforce, etc.) breaks terribly when aligning XML content from multiple authors. Other than support for merging, basic features like git commit, git push, and git pull would be a fine set of minimal integration. Extra credit for identifying that a file being edited is under a git root, and providing the ability to do a git add filename.xml would be great.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Thanks about the suggestions, they are helpful and we'll take them into account.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Just to update this post, we rolled out the first version of the Oxygen XML add-on which adds a Git repository view:

https://github.com/oxygenxml/Oxygen-Git ... ort-plugin

So if anybody wants to try it, you can add issues on the GitHub project or report them here.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
mhGLEIF

Post by mhGLEIF »

Radu wrote:Hi,

Just to update this post, we rolled out the first version of the Oxygen XML add-on which adds a Git repository view:

https://github.com/oxygenxml/Oxygen-Git ... ort-plugin

So if anybody wants to try it, you can add issues on the GitHub project or report them here.

Regards,
Radu
Yes! Finally!

I think if this hadn't happened I would have been about to recommend changing XML editor. I'm never going to sell DITA etc. to management if I can't even use Git.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Michael,

If after you install and use the add-on you have any improvement suggestions for us, they are as always welcomed.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
sphilipp

Post by sphilipp »

Dear Radu,

i installed the Addon GIT-SUPPORT, but there are only rudimentary functions for GIT.

Can you tell me, if future version of this addon will support this GIT commands?

- GIT branch
- GIT merge
- GIT tag
- GIT diff
- GIT checkout

Kind regards
Stefan
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Stefan,

We do not plan for this Oxygen plugin to fully replace a Git client. It's just a way of quickly updating and committing, pushing content from inside Oxygen instead of switching between Oxygen and a Git client. It's also integrated with Oxygen's visual diff tool which presents differences in a more visual pleasing manner.
Looking at what you asked for, the plugin does support checking out content, on its toolbar there is a "+" sign which allows you to clone a remote repository.
We also plan to find some time and add some support to browse and checkout remote branches.
I added your other requests on our issues list:

https://github.com/oxygenxml/Oxygen-Git-Plugin/issues

but I cannot give you a timeline for it.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Radu,

Although nobody expects the plugin to replace a full-featured Git client, there is definitely value in supporting some additional basic operations such as branch creation/deletion. You guys have done a great job with the plugin even as-is!
sorin_carbunaru

Post by sorin_carbunaru »

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your words of appreciation! We already have an issue registered for branch management (internal ID: EXM-43844) and I just added your feedback on it :). As Radu mentioned, the plug-in was meant to be a lightweight Git client, providing the very basics. It probably all depends on how each of us defines the terms 'basic'. But I do agree there are still some features that would definitely bring value to the add-on and that users may consider needed or basic.

All the best,
Sorin Carbunaru
oXygen XML

P.S. - Radu is on vacation, that's why I replied instead of him :)
michaelmcl

Post by michaelmcl »

Hi

Just want to ask if there are any plans to add two-factor authentication support to the git support add-on?

Thanks,
Michael
alex_jitianu

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hello,

You can use two-factor authentication to log into your GitHub/GitLab/Bitbucket account. Afterwards, you need to configure a Personal Access token (BitBucket calls it app password). When prompted for credentials by Oxygen's Git plugin, use the previously generated token instead of your password.

Best regards,
Alex
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

I submitted an enhancement request for the Git plugin to provide a simple command-line interface to the Eclipse JGit module used internally. With this, we could (hopefully!) perform simple operations such as branch creation and branch merges from within the Oxygen environment.
sorin_carbunaru

Hi Chris,

I noticed your feature request not long time ago, when I arrived at my desk. The reason I didn't reply earlier is the time zone, as we are located in Eastern Europe.

Your request is a very good idea, and I added your vote to an existing issue on our side. But you can actually already do what you want (i.e. open a terminal and do more advanced operations from it), for example by installing GitBash for Windows (https://gitforwindows.org/). All we can do is provide an easy way to launch the terminal to the proper working copy location from the oXygen GUI, which will be more convenient. And I will try to prioritize this.

By the way, where do you personally see this action to open the terminal? Perhaps somewhere near the "Working copy" combo box? Or where else?

Best wishes,
Sorin Carbunaru
oXygen XML
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Sorin,

Thanks for your reply!

Currently we run an external Git client (either GitBash or Git in WSL) to perform the more advanced actions. However, invoking a command window to an external interface is not what I was thinking.

Eclipse JGit has its own command-line interface (CLI) that I would think is already somewhere floating around inside Oxygen:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/JGit/User_Guid ... e_JGit_CLI

What I would like is a button I can click to submit a command, then have a window open to show the output. This would be the most simplistic form. A more advanced form could be more terminal-like, with the ability to submit multiple sequential commands while seeing the output of previous commands.

What do you think?
sorin_carbunaru

Hello Chris,

Thank you for pointing us to JGit CLI. We are not familiar with it, so we will have to study it... We'll need to see if it is powerful enough, as the documentation states that JGit comes with its own small CLI, which, although not as feature-full as the git CLI, is a good way to showcase what JGIt can do.".

By the way, what exactly bothers you about GitBash? Is it the fact that it's another application that needs to be installed on your machine or is it simply the fact that it's not integrated with oXygen (in terms of UI/UX)? Or perhaps something else?

If I understood correctly and you feel bothered mainly from a UI/UX perspective, there would be the possibility to interact with GitBash in the background, while the input and output would be provided from / shown in oXygen's GUI.

All the best,
Sorin C.
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Sorin,

I personally do not mind an external client. I use WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) in Windows 10, and I freely switch between the Git plugin in Oxygen (Windows 64-bit) and the linux command-line git client in the same shared directory.

But many of our writers are nontechnical. For certain, many of our writers would find the use of an externally installed Git client disconcerting. Having Oxygen use an externally installed client would be more friendly to them, but the preferred method would still be to use the JGit CLI if at all possible (it's there, it's literally the same client so less chance for incompatibilities, easier to configure new or loaner laptops, etc.).
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

One further thought - I would not suggest spending development effort to provide a terminal/prompt interface; a simple command dialog box that shows its output in the same way as transformations would be completely sufficient!
alex_jitianu

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hello Chris,

I've added an issue regarding this support: https://github.com/oxygenxml/oxygen-git ... /issues/73

Because we have quite a lot of features already in the pipeline, we will have to carefully analyze and decide which new features have a greater priority and schedule them accordingly. The good thing about this plugin is that it is open source so any one could work on this feature. If you have some time and you are willing to invest in this feature I will be more than happy to accept a pull request :)

Best regards,
Alex
dsxsfs

Post by dsxsfs »

The add-on has one big disadvantage - and that is that it's slow (on Windows at least). Which would be acceptable if it worked asynchronously, but currently you are blocked from doing anything else . :-(
sorin_carbunaru

Hello,

In the current development sprint, we have already made a couple of operations run asynchronously or faster or both, and we have a few more issues recorded on the same idea. We will try to address them for the next release(s).

By the way, is there a specific set of operations that run slowly or is this a general feeling? And what version of the add-on do you have installed? 1.5.2 is the latest.

All the best wishes,
Sorin Carbunaru
oXygen XML
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

I've already shared this with Sorin, but here's what I see when I do a local-commit of a single file (Windows 10). The repo has 175k files, so it's not small...
git_commit.gif
git_commit.gif (213.64 KiB) Viewed 12195 times
sorin_carbunaru

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the GIF! I think I had told you I could not reproduce the issue, but lately I started seeing it. I believe it has to do with the current repository.

We are currently working on some new features for the Git add-on, but we will definitely take a look at this issue too in the near future. I will do my best to include a fix for this in the next release.

Best wishes,
Sorin C.
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

I need to correct my earlier post - our repo is 26k files, not 175k files.

We are currently evaluating Oxygen XML Author. Everyone loves the Git integration! In a recent meeting, it was mentioned more than any other feature as being their favorite aspect of the authoring experience, particularly the conflict resolution diff window.