I have started adding related topics links to the end of my topics. I do this by selecting Link icon > Related link to topic. In authoring mode, it shows up as "Related information:" and the underlying XML tag is <related-links>.
Here is where the weirdness starts. Our documentation comprises of two guides: UI and System. It was set up so each have their own ditamap. This makes it easy to PDF each guide. However for the WebHelp output, we wanted both to be merged into a single doc set, so there is also a "Main" ditamap which includes both the UI and System ditamaps as children.
Now, when I do a WebHelp transform on the "Main" ditamap, the resulting output shows a "Related information" section that does NOT exist in the topic (for certain topics only)! This phantom section does contain relevant information though and it could be something I might have added at one point and then removed. But as of this moment, these topics do not have a related topics section added to them, yet it appears in the output.
Further debugging: when I generate a WebHelp from the actual "UI" ditamap (i.e., not using the parent "Main" ditamap), the resulting output does NOT show these "phantom" related links! It accurately reflects whats in the topic.
Clues that may help: when I add related topics for real, they come out as "Related concepts" in the WebHelp. But when I see the "phantom" section, it shows as "Related information".
Delving into the source code of the WebHelp page, I see this for the "phantom" section:
Code: Select all
<div class=" wh_related_links "><nav role="navigation" class="related-links"><div class="linklist"><strong>Related information</strong><br /><div class="related_link"><a class="navheader_parent_path" href="../derived_data/derived_system_metadata.html" title="Derived - System Metadata Tab">Derived - System Metadata Tab</a></div><div class="related_link"><a class="navheader_parent_path" href="../derived_data/derived_metrics_metadata.html" title="Derived - Metrics Metadata Tab">Derived - Metrics Metadata Tab</a></div><div class="related_link"><a class="navheader_parent_path" href="../derived_data/derived_parent_metadata.html" title="Derived - Parent Metadata Tab">Derived - Parent Metadata Tab</a></div></div></nav></div>
I hope you can shed some light on this perplexing issue.