localizing webhelp

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
Gertone

localizing webhelp

Post by Gertone »

I am using the responsive webhelp and have my customisations in a seperate project in order to package the customisation for the actual users.
I have it grouped with two pdf2 customisations and it all works pretty well.

But I want to add some translations of the webhelp specific strings into Dutch.
It seems the only options available for changing the string files is in the plugins directly.
I would like a way to add string files in my customized package... can I do that?

thanks
ionela

Re: localizing webhelp

Post by ionela »

Hello,

Currently, you can localize the WebHelp output interface by adding a DITA-OT extension plugin (it is not recommended to modify the existing plugins). You can find more details about the localizing procedure in our user manual: How to Localize the Interface of WebHelp Responsive Output

Unfortunately, it is not possible to localize the output using extension points from publishing templates, as the publishing templates were intended to customize the UI. However, I have logged your feedback as an improvement request to our issue tracking tool to be further analyzed by our development team.

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
Gertone

Post by Gertone »

Thanks for your reply Ionela,

I did follow the instructions you referenced prior to posting and I would have created an extension plugin.
Thanks for reconfirming this approach.

However one could argue that a localized version of the terminology used in the webhelp interface (eg. 'webhelp.search') is part of customising the UI.
Thanks for logging this as an improvement request. It would be functionality I would really love to have

Thanks

Geert
ionela

Post by ionela »

Hi,

Thank you again for your feedback.
I have added your comments to our issue tracking tool.

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support