The demise of Java Web Start

Post here questions and problems related to oXygen frameworks/document types.
sderrick

The demise of Java Web Start

Post by sderrick »

I just installed Java 11.0.1 and to my surprise, no webstart! No javaws executable in the bin folder.

I knew it was depreciated in 9 but had no idea it was going to be killed in version 11. We use the SDK in a applet that is run via web start! THe applet must be started through a web page and we use a jnlp download to initiate that.

What are the options available to us?

I know Web Author now supports text mode which is a must for us, but I wonder how much work to port all the java applet code we have? Can I do everything in Web Author I do in the the Java SDK?

The example of web author when in text mode has no menu bar. Is that just how the demo was written and not a limitation to text mode?

like to hear what everybody else is planning on doing to handle the demise of web start?

thanks, Scott
Radu

Re: The demise of Java Web Start

Post by Radu »

Hi Scott,

If you want to continue using the Author Component SDK with Java 11 you will have to convert it to a standalone application, downloadable from a web page and which would run on the client side. We have clients who have done this (created a standalone downloadable application from the Author SDK) and clients who have switched to using the WebAuthor (but they are using the visual editing mode, please see below).

About our WebAuthor, our main focus with the WebAuthor is the visual editing, so for people using WebAuthor to edit XML documents in the Author visual editing mode, they can reuse most of the customizations which work in a standalone Oxygen installation.
Indeed the WebAuthor has a Text page but it is not something we invest a lot in, it has minimal editing support and as far as I know it has no API to add extra actions to it.
I will ask our WebAuthor project manager to look over my answer here and if he has anything to add (or correct), he will do so.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
sderrick

Re: The demise of Java Web Start

Post by sderrick »

It appears the only viable option is to convert the sdk into a standalone app.

Which shouldn't be too difficult, and I wouldn't mind seeing the pesky browser/jnlp gyrations go away.

I will check that out

thanks,

Scott