DITAVAL precedence or priority

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
Fredrik_Lönn

DITAVAL precedence or priority

Post by Fredrik_Lönn »

Hi,

I have a customer facing document built on a ditamap. In this ditamap I use topicref to include another ditamap. In the same topicref, after the ditamap I have a ditavalref referencing a ditaval file. The structure basically looks like this:

Code: Select all

<map_1>
<topicref map_2>
<ditvalref ditaval_1/>
</topicref>
</map_1>
map_2 contains a topic with filtered content.

The ditaval_1 file contains:

<val>
<prop action="exclude"/>
</val>
I use this method to filter out content that should not be included in the document sent to the customer. That content has the attribute "otherprops" set to "Internal".

I generate the customer facing version with a scenario specifying no additional ditaval file.

For internal purpose I want to use a ditaval_2 file to include the internal content.

The ditaval_2 file contains:

<val>
<prop action="include" att="audience" val="Internal"/>
</val>
I apply this ditaval_2 file in this scenario by referencing it on the Filters tab under "Use DITAVAL file". My intention is that it should be applied in addition to the
This does not work as I hoped.

I can get the wanted results if I instead change the files as follows and reverse the purpose (internal vs external) of each transformation scenario:

The ditaval_1 file contains:

<val>
<prop action="exclude"/>
<prop action="include" att="audience" val="Internal"/>
</val>
The ditaval_2 file contains:

<val>
<prop action="exclude" att="audience" val="Internal"/>
</val>
Using the second strategy would cause other issues, and I would like to understand why the first strategy does not work!
Radu

Re: DITAVAL precedence or priority

Post by Radu »

Hi,

I looked a little bit in the DITA 1.3 specs but I cannot find there a place explaining how the global DITAVAL file interacts with the branch ditavalref.
Maybe you could consider asking about this on the DITA Users List, the DITA 1.3 specification implementors are registered on it so they may have a better idea about this.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Fredrik_Lönn

Re: DITAVAL precedence or priority

Post by Fredrik_Lönn »

Will do! Thanks for the advice.
/Fredrik