Topics findable even when processing-role="resource-only"

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Carl

Topics findable even when processing-role="resource-only"

Post by Carl »

In our project, we have a ditamap named "_reuse". It has this attribute:

Code: Select all

<map processing-role="resource-only">
This ditamap references several child ditamaps. For example:

Code: Select all

<mapref href="data_metadata.ditamap" format="ditamap"/>
These child maps also have "<map processing-role="resource-only">. They reference a bunch of .dita files with <topicref>.

My issue: According to the OxygenXML help, when processing roles is set to "resource-only", the material is not included in navigation or search results, nor rendered as a topic. When I render a PDF, these topics are correctly excluded. But when I create a WebHelp, these topics are indeed excluded from the TOC. However I can find them by doing a search. (But you can tell that they are not "normal" topics, as the TOC left nav is missing.)

Do you have any ideas why this is happening? And to make it more confusing, Only some of the topics in the child map are findable. Others are correctly un-findable.
Costin

Re: Topics findable even when processing-role="resource-only"

Post by Costin »

Hello,

In order to tell the search engine to exclude certain topics from indexing, you should use the search="no" attribute on the specific topic references in your DITA Map.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about the search="no" attribute. I was under the impression that, based on your documentation, setting processing-role="resource-only" automatically excludes the topics from search. Are you saying that I must also add the search="no" attribute to these topics?
ionela

Post by ionela »

Hi,

Yes, you need to set also the search="no" attribute. You can find more details about how to exclude certain DITA Topics from search results in our user manual (there are two possible solutions):How to Exclude Certain DITA Topics from Search Results

Also, I have added an improvement request to our issue tracking tool to automatically exclude from search results the topics that have set processing-role="resource-only".

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yes, that would be a good enhancement request. At least then the system behaviour will match your documentation!

Alternatively, log a doc bug. Right now, your documentation incorrectly states that using processing-role="resource-only" excludes the topics from the search.
ionela

Post by ionela »

Hi,

Could you please indicate the topic from our documentation you refer to (that states using processing-role="resource-only" excludes the topics from the search)?

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
Carl

Post by Carl »

Hi. Here is the topic:

https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/m/dita1.2 ... butes.html

The part that mislead me is this sentence:
"It is not included in navigation or search results, nor is it rendered as a topic."
But as I look at it again, I realize that this part of your docs is simply repeating the DITA specs and thus out of your control?
radu_pisoi

Post by radu_pisoi »

Hi,

Indeed, this part of DITA specification clearly indicates that topics marked as resource-only should be automatically excluded from search results.

I will add this remark on our internal issue.
Radu Pisoi
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com