DITA Map Export vs. DITA Map Metrics Report

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
GingerSnap

DITA Map Export vs. DITA Map Metrics Report

Post by GingerSnap »

I was reading the forum topic
Export DITA Map: Making it optional whether to include related topics or not

and I have a similar issue, where our localization effort has gone somewhat sideways because someone pulled the DITA Map Metrics Report which said we had 300,000 words in the DITA Map, and when we actually pulled the content using the Export DITA Map function, the localization folks tell us we sent them 2.8 million words.

So I have a couple of suggestions:
(1) Can you better document exactly what is counted in the word-count field of the Metrics Report?
i.e. just the dita map and the topics in submaps topics, right ? Specifically that it does not count topics that are linked to from the topics in the ditamap.

(2) Can you better document exactly what is contained in the Export DITA Map export ?
What is included ?
It looks like it is all the conref'd files.
The previous forum topic indicated that it is the related-links total hierarchy ( links to link to links)
Is it also the inter-topic links, ones that are in the content but not in the related-links.

https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... nager.html
Export DITA Map
Opens a dialog box that allows you to choose a destination for exporting the DITA map. It also includes a Export as Zip archive option that allows you to package the DITA map as a zip archive.
>> Please update this to say... what it WILL and WILL NOT export.. i.e. links that point to links that point to links.. or related links or whatever the specific details are.

(3) Can you add a feature to be able to use a ditaval when exporting a ditamap ?
Does the Export DITA Map feature take a link inside a topic ( that is not a related-link) and follow that link and include it, or are all my extra 2.5 million words coming from the related-links? If it is also following the inter-topic links, I can use my ditaval values to control what ones get picked.
Radu

Re: DITA Map Export vs. DITA Map Metrics Report

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed feedback, please see some answers below:
(1) Can you better document exactly what is counted in the word-count field of the Metrics Report?
i.e. just the dita map and the topics in submaps topics, right ? Specifically that it does not count topics that are linked to from the topics in the ditamap.
Right, we'll document this better on our side. And it works the way you suspected.
(2) Can you better document exactly what is contained in the Export DITA Map export ?
What is included ?
We'll also document this better, basically the DITA Map export will export all resources directly and indirectly referenced from the DITA Map, following all topicrefs, xrefs, related links and conrefs until it finds all the directly and indirectly referenced DITA content.
(3) Can you add a feature to be able to use a ditaval when exporting a ditamap ?
We have an issue added for this, I'll add contact details on it so if we manage to implement it I'll update this forum thread.
I do not know many details about your current situation, so you have a DITA Map which reuses and possibly links to topics from a larger publication?
Probably indeed some kind of indirect links, maybe from reused topics make the export DITA Map arrive to the conclusion that it needs to pack more topics than you want. If those topics are located in precise folders maybe you can manually remove or automatically (using a script) remove them after the export.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com