similar installer problems

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Franck

similar installer problems

Post by Franck »

On a similar line, there are other installer problem (on a windows 2000 system) which are mildly annoying:

- each new version of oxygen is intalled under a different name / folder, which cause all my shortcuts to oxygen to become invalidated (or worse, I keep using the old version without noticing.

- any custom file association I might have also becomes invalidated. I typically associate more than one editor with each file type, and the oxygen installer doesn't seem to be able to pick these up.

These mean that after installing each new version of oxygen, I get angry :cry: before all the improvement appease me 8)

Is there a way for the installer to looks for references to oxygen.exe and map them to the latest install (after checking with the user)? Alternatively, add a folder level (C:\Program Files\Oxygen\Oxygen 7.0) and make sure the installer sets up a shortcut in the root that always points to the latest exe...
sorin_ristache

Re: similar installer problems

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello Franck,
Franck wrote:- each new version of oxygen is intalled under a different name / folder, which cause all my shortcuts to oxygen to become invalidated (or worse, I keep using the old version without noticing.

Is there a way for the installer to looks for references to oxygen.exe and map them to the latest install (after checking with the user)? Alternatively, add a folder level (C:\Program Files\Oxygen\Oxygen 7.0) and make sure the installer sets up a shortcut in the root that always points to the latest exe...
I think that generally any application installs a new version in a different folder, create a new group under Start Menu -> Programs and do not modify the old group(s) without an explicit request from the user (uninstallation of an old version, or direct editing of a shortcut). On installing a new version of <oXygen/> please update the shortcuts which you created yourself if there are such shortcuts (otherwise they could not become invalidated) and <oXygen/> will take care of the shortcuts which it created. It is better to use the shortcuts created for you by the <oXygen/> install wizard under the subfolder of the standard folder for Windows applications, Start Menu -> Programs -> Oxygen x.y, where x.y is the latest <oXygen/> version installed.
Franck wrote:- any custom file association I might have also becomes invalidated. I typically associate more than one editor with each file type, and the oxygen installer doesn't seem to be able to pick these up.
We know about it, we posted a bug report to the installer application used to create the Windows installer for <oXygen/>.

Best regards,
Sorin