Some odd behaviour on Linux

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
smaug42

Some odd behaviour on Linux

Post by smaug42 »

I've been getting some odd behaviour with Oxygen 6.2 on Linux... nothing real serious - as in I can get around it, but it's still kind of strange.

Using:
- SUSE 10.0 (kernel 2.6.13-15)
- KDE 3.5 (actually 3.4.92-beta2 level 'a')
- Java 1.5.0_03-b07 (SUN)

Basically, when I open... say for example the Save As dialog, sometimes it come up as only the title bar - the rest of the dialog isn't there. Maximizing doesn't help (just puts the title bar on the top of the screen). I also can't grab the edge of the window and drag it open. Basically the child window appears as only a titlebar.

Usually I can get around it by closing the child window (clicking the X) and repeating the action that opened the child window. Only once so far have I had to restart Oxygen to get around this issue.

It's not all the time that it hapens as well.. only once in a while. I can't seem to pin it down to a particular combination of events.

It's not a showstopper... just wondering if this is known behaviour... if anyone else has a problem like this etc.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

It is not known behavior. If you can find a sequence of actions for reproducing it that would be great. It works ok on my SUSE 10 but with a different version of KDE. Does it work on your SUSE with an older KDE version ?

Regards,
Sorin
smaug42

Post by smaug42 »

Hmmm... well, I don't have an older KDE version to try it out on (on my particular install). It did start happening after the upgrade to KDE 3.5. Oxygen is also the only application that is showing this behaviour. I run other Java based apps on the same JVM/KDE versions and don't see this happening... so far Oxygen has been the only app (out of your usual string of Linux apps like FireFox, Opera, OpenOffice, Thunderbird, VMWare, LinCVS, Gaim, Azureus etc etc) that is doing this so far.

There doesn't seem to be any sequence of events that makes Oxygen do this. I start Oxygen each morning - ie it's not the same instance running weeks at a time. It usually happens at least once during the day. Sometimes 3 or 4 times. It's also not every time I do an action. For example I can do 20 Save As actions in a row and it will work perfectly every time. Then once it seems to fail.

I'll keep poking around. If it's not a known thing it is more likely to me some odd setting on my end.

C.
smaug42

Post by smaug42 »

Just a quick update. I haven't been able to duplicate this behaviour since I updated a few KDE libs. It seesmto have been tied to whatever particular build of KDE I was using.

So.. for now.. problem gone :-)
smaug42

Post by smaug42 »

The problem is back again :-( This is with oxygen 6.2 and I'm using the regular release of KDE (3.5.0 Level "a") on SUSE 10.0. No other apps - Java or otherwise - exhibit this behaviour.

The window opens, and then collapses to only the title bar. Once this happens, I cannot close the child window - clicking on the X does nothing. The only way to get rd of the broken window (now) is to exit oXygen and restart.

Worth noting that I haven't done any system updates since the beginning of December, and that oXygen has been used daily all through December and January. This behaviour has only started up again since Monday.

C.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

If you can find a sequence of steps for reproducing the problem it would help to investigate and fix it.

Regards,
Sorin
smaug42

Post by smaug42 »

I can reproduce the behaviour consistently by:
1. Open a child window (Find/Replace for example)
2. Right-click the title bar and select Shade
3. Click the X to close the window. The window is not closed.
4 Right-click the title bar and un-select Shade.
At this point, the window is restored, but the c ontents are not repainted. I cannot close the window at all anymore. The only way to recover is to restart oXygen.

It's worth noting that these are NOT the sequence of events that I go through when it happens while I'm working... this is only a sequence that produces the same results.

When it happens during my normal work flow, I am simply opening a child window and for some reason it sometimes snaps into this "shade" mode.. and I cannot "un-shade" the window. There seems to be no obvious trigger to drive it into thsi shade mode... it does it only once in a while.

On:
oXygen 6.2 build 2005091711
java 1.5.0_03-b07
SUSE kernel 2.6.13-15-default

C
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
smaug42 wrote:I can reproduce the behaviour consistently by:
1. Open a child window (Find/Replace for example)
2. Right-click the title bar and select Shade
3. Click the X to close the window. The window is not closed.
4 Right-click the title bar and un-select Shade.
At this point, the window is restored, but the c ontents are not repainted. I cannot close the window at all anymore. The only way to recover is to restart oXygen.
Now I can reproduce the empty (grey) window. I created a small sample Java application which creates a frame and a dialog with the frame as parent, as in <oXygen/>. When I run it with a Java 1.5.0 virtual machine, I open the dialog and I execute shade-close-unshade on the dialog title bar, the window is empty, the content is all painted with a grey color. The only way to get rid of the grey dialog is to restart the sample application. If I execute shade-unshade-close all is OK. Also no problem if a run the application with Java 1.4.2 and execute shade-close-unshade or shade-unshade-close. Because it is a very simple Java application (just a JFrame, a JDialog, a JButton) and the problem occurs only with a Java 1.5.0 VM, it means it is a bug in the native window allocation managed by the JVM 1.5.0 which occurs only with the KDE window manager distributed with SUSE (I could not reproduce it on Fedora). I suggest downgrading your JVM to 1.4.2.
smaug42 wrote:When it happens during my normal work flow, I am simply opening a child window and for some reason it sometimes snaps into this "shade" mode.. and I cannot "un-shade" the window. There seems to be no obvious trigger to drive it into thsi shade mode... it does it only once in a while.
I was not able to reproduce that yet. Try with Java 1.4.2 instead of 1.5.0. It does not have the shade-close-unshade bug.

Regards,
Sorin
smaug42

Post by smaug42 »

Thanks for the help on this one. Dropping back to Java 1.4 will work - shame though since the oXygen interface looks so much nicer in Java 1.5.

I'll put this into Novell's Bugzilla and hope for a fix... soon :-)

C.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
smaug42 wrote:I'll put this into Novell's Bugzilla and hope for a fix... soon :-)
sorin wrote:... it means it is a bug in the native window allocation managed by the JVM 1.5.0 ...
Novell's Bugzilla ?! I think you mean Sun Microsystems Bugzilla :) It is their JVM ...

Regards,
Sorin
smaug42

Post by smaug42 »

Hmmm, I understood you to say that the problem was unique to SUSE's implementation of KDE3.5 and Java 1.5... as in the problem wasn't reproduceable on Fedora... and I haven't been able to reproduce it on Ubuntu yet. :-)

So.. is it a bug in the official SUN Java, or in the combination of SUSE's KDE3.5 and Java1.5?

I'm posting to the OpenSUSE mailing list to see if anyone else has stumbled on thsi behavior...

C.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

It is a combination of SUSE's KDE 3.5 and Sun's Java 1.5, but Sun's Java 1.4.2 got it right with the same SUSE's KDE 3.5. Non Java applications also got it right with SUSE's KDE 3.5. Also there was another very ugly bug in Sun's Java 1.5.0 about JDialogs which hung the <oXygen/> GUI completely for a sequence of user actions before <oXygen/> version 6.2 and for which we had to implement a workaround in the <oXygen/> code so that the bug would not manifest in <oXygen/> 6.2+ with Java 1.5.0 :cry: ...

Regards,
Sorin
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Just an update to the discussion: the Sun Microsystems guys could reproduce the bug on a very simple code sample which I sent to them and which has no connection to <oXygen/> code. They accepted the bug and finally published it in their official database. They admit that it was introduced in the core Java classes starting with Java 1.5 and it occurs in KDE 3.5.x. For now it is a bug in progress.

Regards,
Sorin
smaug42

Post by smaug42 »

It's nice to know I wasn't crazy :-)

C.