How to display Document > References menu for a topic?

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
veigel1

How to display Document > References menu for a topic?

Post by veigel1 »

I have a topic that I don't see in a ditamap but I do see in the generated webhelp. I have the topic open in Author mode in Oxygen 17.1 and the title has the blue highlight, but I can't get the References menu to be active (not dimmed). How do I activate it?
Radu

Re: How to display Document > References menu for a topic?

Post by Radu »

Hi Victoria,

What do you mean by "References" menu? Are you using Oxygen with a specific plugin which integrates it with a content management system?
Usually to check for all places where a topic is used, I open the main DITA Map in the DITA Maps Manager view, I open the topic in the main editor area in the Author visual editing mode, right click in the title text and choose "Search references".

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
veigel1

Post by veigel1 »

I am using Oxgen 17.1 in Author mode. We are not integrated with a CMS. Right-clicking the title displays a context menu with Close and Add to Project options.
I cannot find the topic file in the main ditamap or in a reltable. It is only listed in the project, but somehow it is generated in the webhelp.
Thanks,
Victoria
veigel1

Post by veigel1 »

Update:
I tried deleting the file from the disk and generating the webhelp. I got an error that the file is missing so clearly it is used somewhere.
I also tried this using Oxygen 18.1
Thanks,
Victoria
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Victoria,

Probably that particular topic is indirectly used from another topic which is referenced in the DITA Map.
What I meant by right click in the title text and choose "Search references"" is that once the topic is opened in the main editing area, in the Author visual editing mode it has a title (I did not mean the tab title but the topic title as presented in the Author visual editing mode), so right clicking the topic title should allow you to search for references.
You mentioned you also tried to remove the topic from disk, it's indeed another approach to test how it's referenced. Once you remove if from disk, open the main DITA Map in the Oxygen "DITA Maps Manager" view and use the Validate and check for completeness toolbar action there, it should find all broken references and some of them are probably to that deleted topic.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
veigel1

Post by veigel1 »

Oh, I finally got it, thanks!
Appreciate the assistance.
Victoria