searching title

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
catherine

searching title

Post by catherine »

Hi, When I search my topics on Google search, it is hard to find out my desired topics.
It is only when I entered the whole "short descriptions" of my topic, then I can find out my topic.

When I search oxygen xml topics on Google, I find that there is a phrase "-Oxygen XML Editor" behind each searched topic.
That is why I can find out the relevant topics of Oxygen XML editor so easily and quickly.

Can you tell me how to add a product name behind each of my topic title, so that users can easily search and find my topics on Google.

Thanks so much!
Radu

Re: searching title

Post by Radu »

Hi Catherine,

Sorry for the delay.
We do not do that on purpose for our technical documentation, our DITA content and it's equivalent generated HTML content does not state precisely that the title should be followed by a certain product name.
Somehow Google "knows" our product name and appends it to all return search titles.
We do not know how this happens, we use Google Adwords and other Google services and possibly Google got this idea about how our web site is named using one of those services.
So maybe you can google for this further :)

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
catherine

Post by catherine »

Thanks for your help, Radu.
I will do the research and find a way out, thanks.

Additionally, I have a problem of the searching engine of Oxygen XML.
In my webhelp output, I have End user guide, quick start guide, and admin guide.

The End user guide and admin guide will share some topic titles.
For example, I will describe the concept "Web User Interface" both in End user guide and Admin Guide.
Due to different permission of the end user and administrator, the end user and administrator will see different "Web User Interface", So I create two dita files to describe "Web User Interface":
web-user-interface-end-user.dita
web-user-interface-admin.dita

These two dita files share the same Topic Title "Web User Interface".

When I publish the webhelp, and search "web user interface", I will get two results with the same title.
Is there any way that I can customized the topic title in the searched results? In this way, I can get two results, for example:
Web User Interface - User Guide
Web User Interface - Admin Guide

I tried to add "Search Title" in the topic file, but seems not what I want.
Can you help?
Thanks
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Catherine,

Right now our WebHelp output does not use the search title for anything, we have an internal issue opened for this and we'll probably make this work in a future version.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
catherine

Post by catherine »

Ok,noted.
Thanks, Radu.
catherine

Post by catherine »

Hi, Radu
I just want to know when will you improve the search engine of Oxygen XML Editor?
I am struggling that how to write the End User Guide, cause 80% of the topic titles are the same as the titles in Admin Guide.
If the users (end user or administrator) search their questions in the webhelp, they will get two results that with same topic title but different contents.
For example, if the user search "Change information", he will get two results:
Change Your Information
Change Your Information

hmmm... this really puzzles the user.

If the user can get search results like:
Change Your Information - Extension User Guide
Change Your Information - Admin Guide

That will be a great help!
Will you add this function in the future version of Oxygen XML Editor? If yes, when is the possible time? If no, how will you improve the Oxygen Searching engine?

Regards,
Catherine
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Catherine,

Maybe in such cases you should avoid joining two distinct user manuals in the same WebHelp distribution, create for each user's guide a separate webhelp distribution which will have its separate search index.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor