How can I keep the TOC (and breadcrumbs) displayed when navigating to a topic that has the attribute "toc=no"?

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
kgajda

How can I keep the TOC (and breadcrumbs) displayed when navigating to a topic that has the attribute "toc=no"?

Post by kgajda »

I have a section in my webhelp where each of the topics has the toc attribute set to "no". You can navigate to the parent topic and see them all listed there, and the TOC displays as expected. But, when you click any of the child topics that I don't want cluttering the TOC, you enter that topic and the TOC and breadcrumbs disappear. Is there a way to keep these persistent? Ideally, I'd like the breadcrumbs to show the path to this non-TOC topic, but if that isn't possible, I would at least like to have it pointing to the parent topic. And the TOC to remain as if the parent topic were the current topic.

Thanks for your help!
Kim
Costin

Re: How can I keep the TOC (and breadcrumbs) displayed when navigating to a topic that has the attribute "toc=no"?

Post by Costin »

Hi Kim,

This is how the @toc attribute works for the current implementation. If one sets its value to "no" for an/some element/s, then it means it is not intended to appear in the output so it is completely omitted from the TOC model and the breadcrumb hierarchy.
I've logged your feedback internally to be investigated by our development team for a possible improvement in a future version of oXygen.

We will update this thread in case the current behavior would change.

Best Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
kgajda

Re: How can I keep the TOC (and breadcrumbs) displayed when navigating to a topic that has the attribute "toc=no"?

Post by kgajda »

Thanks, Costin. Is there any way, programmatically, that I can change our DITA-OT to have the TOC persist with the last opened topic? And the same for the breadcrumbs?
Thanks again for your help :)
Kim
Costin

Post by Costin »

Hi Kim,

Despite this is the intended behavior of the "toc" attribute, we tried to see if we could make this configurable through a parameter.
Unfortunately we reached to the conclusion that there is no parameter that could be used for this and also couldn't find a easy way to attain the desired behavior through a DITA OT customization plugin.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support