Open external XML in Oxygen XML Web Author

Oxygen general issues.
sriram_l

Open external XML in Oxygen XML Web Author

Post by sriram_l »

Hi,
As of now I'm opening the XML stored in Tomcat work folder in Oxygen XML Web Author but I want to open an external XML and edit the XML in Oxygen XML Web Author and save the XML contents.
The external XML can be retrieved either by any one of the following methods
1. calling a REST web service
2. Opening an already saved XML from local file system

Please let me know which of teh above option will work and how to make it work or is there any other better alternative available.

solution tried:
I edited the 'url' request parameter and was able to view and edit the XML but not able to save.
ex - http://localhost:8080/oxygen-xml-web-au ... r_XML_Path>
cristi_talau

Re: Open external XML in Oxygen XML Web Author

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,

There are a couple of solutions. You may want to read this section of our customization guide: https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... orage.html .

The reason for which saving is not supported is that we need a server with WebDAV support. WebDAV is an extension of HTTP that does not support the "Save" and folder listing features.

Best,
Cristian
sriram_l

Post by sriram_l »

I've created a REST services(GET and PUT) that produces/consumes the XML and I'm able to load/save the XML in the editor but CSS is not applied. Should the REST end point have any file name convention for CSS to be applied correctly?
cristi_talau

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,

Web Author has a couple of frameworks installed and each of them has some matching rules to identify which one to be used for a specific XML file. If no such framework is matched, the "Cannot load the associated CSS files." error message appears.

The matching rules may depend on the file extension but the default ones do not. To troubleshoot the problem you can:
- make sure that the document returned by the REST server is what you expected by going to the "text-mode" (using the "More" (triple dots) > "Edit as XML" action).
- make sure that the format of the XML document matches the rules of the framework you expected to use.
- check the server logs for any error (for example while loading schemas). More details here: https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... -logs.html

Best,
Cristian
sriram_l

Post by sriram_l »

The framework is present and binding has been set in the framework. The problem was with my REST service that was sending the XML with a different case of the root element and due to this case mismatch the CSS was not applied. After fixing the REST service things are back to normal.