How to create topic list menu in webhelp responsive

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
asher

How to create topic list menu in webhelp responsive

Post by asher »

Instead of a list of every topic in the top menu, I would like our webhelp responsive output to list only the top-level topics in the document (that is, the same level of detail shown in the list of tiles on the front page).

Assume the following chapter structure in a bookmap:

<chapter navtitle="TopicA" id="topicA">
<mapref href="topicA.ditamap" format="ditamap" id="topicA" navtitle="Topic A"/>
</chapter>
<chapter navtitle="TopicB" id="topicB">
<mapref href="topicB.ditamap" format="ditamap" id="topicB" navtitle="Topic B"/>
</chapter>

Each of these maps is chunked, resulting in a single long page.

I want the top menu to show only two items:
Topic list
- Topic1
- Topic2

I can achieve this if I add another chapter, add maprefs to each of the ditamaps in the chapters shown above, configure the chapter so that it does not display a tile, and set the top menu depth to 2.

BUT: The problem is that each resource is, naturally enough, duplicated in the output. Hence, the output has both topicA.html and topicA2.html.

Is there a way to configure this whole thing so that the top menu only "points" to the original resources? Or is this impossible given the constraints of DITA?
ionela

Re: How to create topic list menu in webhelp responsive

Post by ionela »

Hello,

You can achieve this by setting the webhelp.top.menu.depth parameter to 1 in the DITA Map WebHelp Responsive transformation scenario.
To do this, you need to edit DITA Map WebHelp Responsive transformation scenario (actually, you need to duplicate it and edit the copy and a built-in transformation cannot be modified) and in the paramters tab set webhelp.top.menu.depth to 1.

We also have a topic in our user manual that you might find useful about customizing the menu:
https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... -menu.html

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support