Serious performance problems

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
robert3L

Serious performance problems

Post by robert3L »

When I first installed my eval copy Oxygen was really slow. Every keystroke and mouse click took 1/2 to 1 second to happen. I checked the Slow Text Editing topic in this forum. I tired reinstalling Java. Also checked the system requirements and found I didn't have the JVM in my PATH environment variable. (BTW- the doc does not say if this should point to the JRE root or JRE/bin).

Anyway, after doing all this and restarting Windows, its worse. :!: Every keystroke & click take 1-4 seconds to register. I'm testing on XML files of 500 - 600 lines. I tried going back to IntelliJ IDEA which I've been using (even hough it doesn't support DocBook DTD). I load my largest source file of some 2500 lines and it's fine.

Here are a few details about my installation:
Oxygen: 7.0 #2006011034
Java: J2SE SDK 1.4.2_10
RAM: 512 MB
Processor: Pentium M 1.8g GHz

Any suggestions that might get me going so I can evaulate this tool?
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

We got a similar report some time ago and the behaviour was caused in that case because the text antialiasing was enabled. Please check your Options->Preferences -- Fonts preferences page and make sure the antialiasing option is disabled.
If the document contains long lines that might also cause performance problems, you can enable the option to format and indent the document on open from the Editor / Format preference page.
If it is possible please send us a sample file to reproduce the behaviour you describe at support at oxygenxml dot com.

Let us know how is going.

Best Regards,
George
robert3L

Post by robert3L »

I read about the antialias issue and that's one of the first things I checked. Some of the files in this project I've inherited have long lines and I've been cleaning them up with IntelliJ IDEA's code formatting. The sample file I've been testing and have sent to Support is 716 lines all formatted to less than 150 characters in length.

BTW- since I posted this I discovered that the software I'm documenting has a bug that was leaving 2 instances of apache.exe running which were eating up some system resources. (Or maybe I'm doing smth. stupid that's causing it.) Anyway, after killing those processes, Oxygen performance improved somewhat, but still not enough to actually be able to use it.

Thanks.
<R>
tgolden

ATI

Post by tgolden »

I had the same miserable performance on my laptop computer - every keystroke was excrutiating. In my case, it only happened when I was on battery power. I eventually determined that a feature of my computer's graphic chip was interacting poorly with Oxygen and causing the problem.

My computer has an ATI Mobility Radeon X300. That chip has a feature called "PowerPlay", which (by default) causes the chip to switch to low-power-consumption mode when the computer is running on battery power. You can turn this power-saving feature off rather easily, and when you do, Oxygen performs as expected.

On WinXP Pro:
1. Go to Start | Control Panel | Display
2. Choose the Settings tab
3. Click the Advanced button
4. Choose the POWERPLAY tab
5. Click OFF the "Enable PowerPlay" checkbox

No other applicaiton I use has ever shown a similar behavior, and this workaround WILL reduce your battery run time, so it would be nice if the root cause could be addressed by the Oxygen folks.
mw

Post by mw »

I had the same problem on my laptop in battery mode only when using the compare directory tool, thus without running oxygen or any of its editors. Following tgolden's advice (thanx a lot :D ) I disabled the Power Play option of my ATI MOBILITY FireGL V3100 and it worked as fluently as you can imagine.

The oxygen text antialiasing option was not enabled (default). When using the compare directory tool in full screen windows it was not usable at all and a full page refresh after minimizing the window took about 5 seconds. When reducing the size to a tiny window it became usable again, though still quite slow. Of course I have the same problems using the oxygen editors.
robert3L

Post by robert3L »

As I just posted on another relate thread, tgolden's suggstion worked for me. The difference was really amazing. As I said, 90% of the time I can live with the work-around.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi Robert,

Please try to specify in the command line of oXygen the following system property:

-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

then try oXygen on your machine on batteries. Let us know if that makes a difference.

Best Regards,
George
mw

Post by mw »

Ok George,

Adding the option
-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true
to the batch files of Oxygen and Diffdir completely solved the problem. No delays anymore.

Thanks