Check where an element is reused

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
THaen

Check where an element is reused

Post by THaen »

Hi,

I've been trying to find an answer to my question for a few days now, but could not really find anything that helps me. So I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but does oXygen have a way to display where a certain element is reused?

I have tried creating reusable components, but I don't know how to check those.
I have tried creating direct reusable content and then searching for references, but that doesn't seem to work. I get no results, even though I am sure that I reused the element.

Thanks.
Radu

Re: Check where an element is reused

Post by Radu »

Hi,

If you have the main DITA Map opened in the DITA Maps Manager view, you open the topic containing that particular XML element in the main editing area (in the Author visual editing mode) you can place the caret inside the element and if the element has an ID, right click and choose "Search References".

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
THaen

Post by THaen »

Hi Radu,

Thanks for your answer, unfortunately it still does not work... :(
I get the message that there are no references to the element with the given id.

Tessa
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Tessa,

Could you maybe take some screenshots on your side showing the place from where you invoke the action and the dita map that you have opened in the DITA Maps Manager view?
Ideally you could also put together a small sample DITA project (a map and 2-3 topics) which we could use to reproduce the issue on our side.
You can send the extra details via email to support@oxygenxml.com.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
THaen

Post by THaen »

Hi Radu,

This is really bizarre, but today it does work.
I restarted my laptop and now the topic where I reused the element is listed...

Thank you for your help!

Tessa
THaen

Post by THaen »

Radu,

In addition to my other question, is it possible to check where reusable components are used?

Thank you.

Tessa
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Tessa,

I do not quite understand. The "Search References" action should show you all places from where the current DITA element is referenced (either linked or conreffed). Maybe you could give me more details about what exactly you are doing and what the expected result would be.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
THaen

Post by THaen »

Hi Radu,

I did not realise that it worked the same for reusable components too.

Thank you.

Tessa
csquires

Post by csquires »

Hi Radu,

I'm having a similar issue. When I right click on a shared element I get the "Search References" option in the right-click menu "except" if that element is within a table. I keep my topic reuse materials in a table so I can add a description of the element, which makes it easier for me to find what I need, but I'm just figuring out if I do this none of the shared elements in the table have the Search References option. If I remove the element from the table and place it within the body the contextual menu "Search References" appears. Is there a way to get this working inside tables as well?

Thanks,
Carolyn
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Carolyn,

When right clicking inside a table, the first level of popup actions is table-related which kind of makes sense. But there is also an "Other actions" submenu where you will find the action you are searching for.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
csquires

Post by csquires »

Ah got it... Thanks so much.

Carolyn