Oxygen XML WebHelp pricing

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
gjain

Oxygen XML WebHelp pricing

Post by gjain »

Hi,

From reading other posts on the matter, it seems that in order to generate WebHelp output from my CI server I need to purchase an independent license of Oxygen WebHelp. i.e. I cannot re-use my oxygen editor/author license to create WebHelp despite them having the ability to do so.

What I don't understand is the pricing. Why is the WebHelp pricing over $2,000 vs the editor being far cheaper? If I have a small team, should I just have one of the users publish to WebHelp vs using the the independent license? What benefit am I getting that warrants the pricing for just the WebHelp plugin vs the full editor?

Thanks,

Gaurav
ionela

Re: Oxygen XML WebHelp pricing

Post by ionela »

Hello,

From oXygen XML Editor/Author you can generate oXygen XML WebHelp output using the oXygen XML GUI.
If you need to run the WebHelp transformation outside oXygen XML Editor (using an automated process that produces the WebHelp output) you need a separate WebHelp license. Therefore, this license is needed only if you need to automate the WebHelp output generation process outside oXygen XML Editor/Author.
Also, the oXygen XML WebHelp license is a per process license model while oXygen XML Editor/ Author license models are named-user or floating.

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
gjain

Post by gjain »

Hi Ionela,

Thank you for your response. For a small organization the individual WebHelp license pricing somewhat prohibitive given that the editor does far more. The pricing seems to be charging a large premium for automation purposes rather than providing much additional value or features. Why can't I just purchase an additional editor license and use that for the CI system?

Thanks,

Gaurav
ionela

Post by ionela »

Hi,

Oxygen XML Editor licenses cannot be used in a CI system, mainly from a technical point of view. Also, the EULA does not allow this type of license usage.
The only way to automate WebHelp processes is by using an Oxygen XML WebHelp license key. Its price is comparable with that of a floating license for Oxygen XML Editor. We chose to do this because you cannot tie a license key used on a server to a specific person (like in the case of user-based licenses).

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support