DITA transformation to CHM fails because of strange path issues

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
susannecm

DITA transformation to CHM fails because of strange path issues

Post by susannecm »

Hi,

I am trying to create HTML Help using a configuration that has been in place for years:
  • Oxygen XML Editor, installed to C:\Oxygen XML Editor 17
  • An external DITA OT, installed to C:\DITA-OT1.7
  • Ditamaps located in the path C:\DITA_Subversion\<ProdGroup>\<Language>\<MapName>.ditamap, where the main ditamaps reference a number of submaps
For some reason, a CHM file is created, but most of the content is missing. There are numerous messages concerning missing maps in the output, but apparently the transformation looks for these maps in the wrong places, that is, in the Oxygen directory:

Code: Select all

gen-list:
[gen-list] GenMapAndTopicListModule.execute(): Starting...
[gen-list] Using Xerces grammar pool for DTD and schema caching.
[gen-list] Processing C:\DITA_Subversion\DOXiS4_Windows_Clients\de-de\HLP_DOXiS4_cubeDesigner.ditamap
[gen-list] Processing C:\DITA_Subversion\DOXiS4_Windows_Clients\de-de\z_UG_cubeDesigner_FilingEnvironments.ditamap
[gen-list] [DOTJ013E][ERROR] Failed to parse the referenced file 'C:\Oxygen XML Editor 17\z_UG_cubeDesigner_FilingEnvironments.ditamap'. The XML parser reported the following error:
How can this happen?

Thank you for your help
Susanne Muris
susannecm

Re: DITA transformation to CHM fails because of strange path issues

Post by susannecm »

For reasons I cannot understand, this problem seems to be caused by the DOCTYPE declaration.

This DOCTYPE declaration causes a problem (though it is perfectly valid IMO):

<!DOCTYPE concept PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA 1.1 Concept//EN"
"http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/dtd/concept.dtd">
This DOCTYPE declaration can be converted:

<!DOCTYPE concept PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA Concept//EN"  "concept.dtd">
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

You mentioned:
I am trying to create HTML Help using a configuration that has been in place for years
So did it always work like that or did it stop working at some point? Did you make recent changes to that external DITA OT folder?

If the problem is the DOCTYPE declaration, then there is possibly some XML catalog problem.
Are you running the transformation from Oxygen? If so, maybe you could paste in a code block the entire output from the DITA OT console view...

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
susannecm

Post by susannecm »

Hi Radu,

I noticed conversion problems for the first time a couple of months ago. Not with a CHM conversion, but with a PDF conversion that still worked fine a few days earlier. There were no intentional changes to the external DITA OT folder or to the Oxygen catalog at that time - I was only working on documents.The problem appeared for the first time on a day before I went on vacation. I therefore asked a team member to take care of it. He experienced the same problem with that document and with some others. I frequently had conversion problems since then which could only be solved by modifying the DOCTYPE declaration. A third colleague never had such problems. AFAIK, we're all using identical external DITA OT folders...
Yes, I am running the transformation from Oxygen. However, I have changed the document mentioned above since then. In addition, the console output is too extensive - it cannot be pasted here. I will send an email to the support address instead.

Thank you for your help
Susanne Muris
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Susanne,

Ok, we'll continue this via email.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com