Publishing topic via DITA OT containing greek characters in file name

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
david.badger

Publishing topic via DITA OT containing greek characters in file name

Post by david.badger »

Hi,

When attempting to publish a DITA topic via oXygen / DITA OT that contains greek characters in the file name, the publishing fails. I have been unable to find a solution or workaround.

For example, a file having the name α.dita (greek alpha character dot dita) results in the following message in the log:
[DOTA069F][FATAL] Input file '... a.dita' cannot be located or read.
It appears that the ANT process is reading the args.input parameter as having an english 'a' character rather than the correct 'α' character, and thus cannot find the file. Users are checking these files out via CMS, so manually renaming the files is not a desirable workaround. Although all the topics in question are written in English, the greek characters in the file names represent chemical structures, and removing them is not a desirable workaround either.

I'd appreciate any feedback or insight into this matter, thank you!
Radu

Re: Publishing topic via DITA OT containing greek characters in file name

Post by Radu »

Hi David,

I can reproduce this problem and we had a previous similar report about publishing DITA Maps containing Japanese characters but failed to find a solution yet.
Somehow Oxygen builds the proper command line and starts a new Java process for the DITA OT using it but the values containing non-ASCII characters are not properly interpreted on the DITA OT ANT side. This is probably a bug in the Java VM.
For example if you are not using Oxygen at all, you can create a command line to start the DITA OT looking like this:

Code: Select all

dita -i D:\projects\eXml\samples\dita\flowers\topics\α.dita -f xhtml
and it will fail with:

Code: Select all

Error: Failed to run pipeline: [DOTA069F][FATAL] Input file 'file:/D:/projects/eXml/samples/dita/flowers/topics/a.dita' cannot be located or read. Ensure that file was specified properly and that you have permission to access it.
So right now other than renaming the files to contain only ASCII names I do not have a workaround for you.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com