pdf plugin can't be integrated in Oxygen

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
lisazeng99

pdf plugin can't be integrated in Oxygen

Post by lisazeng99 »

Hi Oxyge expert,
I can integrated a pdf plugin to oxygen and run it as a DITA tranformer. All the process are ok for me.

Now, I build a new PDF plugin, which is installed in DIOT 2.4 successfully but can't be integrated into Oxygen.
After I run Run DiTA-OT integrator, its plugin type can't shown in the DITA OT tranformer list in Oxygen.

As I can't attach the code, and the plugin is just a new one with a few codes, I copy them all here.
The plugin structure is like below:
com.t1.pdf2
------------------>integrator.xml
------------------->plugin.xml
------------------->cfg--------->fo------>attrs------>custom.xsl
------------------->cfg--------->fo------->xsl-------->custom.xsl
------------------->cfg--------->common------->artwork <!--artwork is a empty folder-->
------------------->cfg--------->common------->vars <!--vars is a empty folder-->
------------------->cfg--------->catalog.xml

The files are below:
plugin.xml
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<plugin id="com.t1.pdf2">
<require plugin="org.dita.pdf2" />
<feature extension="dita.conductor.transtype.check" value="t1pdf" />
<feature extension="dita.transtype.print" value="t1pdf" />
<feature extension="dita.conductor.target.relative" file="integrator.xml" />
</plugin>

integrator.xml
<project name="com.t1.pdf2">
<target name="dita2t1pdf.init">
<property name="customization.dir" location="${dita.plugin.com.t1.pdf.dir}/cfg" />
<property name="pdf2.i18n.skip" value="true" />
</target>
<target name="dita2t1pdf" depends="dita2t1pdf.init, dita2pdf2" />
</project>

custom.xsl, cutom.xsl files in both attrs and xsl folder are the same.
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" version="2.0">

</xsl:stylesheet>

catalog.xml
<catalog prefer="system" xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog" >
<!-- Custom attributes entry -->
<uri name="cfg:fo/attrs/custom.xsl" uri="fo/attrs/custom.xsl"/>
<!-- Custom XSL code entry.-->
<uri name="cfg:fo/xsl/custom.xsl" uri="fo/xsl/custom.xsl"/>
</catalog >

Thanks for help!

Lisa
Costin

Re: pdf plugin can't be integrated in Oxygen

Post by Costin »

Hi Lisa,

First thing you should double check is that the correct DITA Open Toolkit (the one that contains the PDF plugin inside it) is in use in the oXygen settings.
You can see which DITA-OT oXygen uses going into menu Options > Preferences > DITA. In the "DITA Open Toolkit" section, you should have "Built-in DITA OT 2.x" selected, if the plugin is inside the default DITA-OT 2.x that comes bundled with oXygen. Otherwise, if you are using an external DITA-OT 2.4, you should select "Custom" then browse and point to the external DITA-OT location.

After you established that oXygen uses the correct DITA-OT that contains your plugin, apply the settings and make sure that you run the DITA-OT integrator in Administrator mode (with admin privileges).
That's because the folder where the DITA OT is located needs to have full write access permissions set to it, as per the instructions in our User-Guide.
After you successfully ran the "Run DITA-OT Integrator" transformation scenario" you can restart oXygen without administrative rights.

Finally, to find the transtype coming from the PDF plugin you just added in the above steps (as this is not presented in the default/existing scenarios list), you should go into the "Configure Transformation Scenario(s)" dialog, click "New" and choose "DITA-OT Transformation". Look for the "t1pdf" transtype in that list and click "OK".

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
lisazeng99

Post by lisazeng99 »

Hi Costin,

Thanks for your quick reply.

1.I use an external DITA-OT 2.4, and it is selected.

2.how can I check whether I run the DITA-OT integrator in Administrator mode ?

3. Yes, I go the step as you suggested to check whether "t1pdf" transtype in the list.

In fact, today, I have added 2 plugins in follow all the steps you suggested, including this "t1pdf " plugin.

One plugin is added successfully and I can find its plugin type in the transtype list in Oxygen.
However, t1pdf transtype is not in that list.

Can you just make the plugin folder as I shared and test whether you can add it to oxygen?
Thanks!

br,
Lisa
Costin

Post by Costin »

I have just tested the plugin by recreating the files structure you provided and managed to successfully integrate it in the DITA-OT/Oxygen.
The transtype was successfully detected after running the DITA-OT integrator in administrator mode.

Here is what I did more exactly:
  • downloaded the DITA-OT 2.4 from the official download page HERE.
  • created the "plugin.xml", "integrator.xml", "custom.xsl" an "catalog.xml" files with the contents you provided, all of them inside a folder called "t1pdf", which I then placed into the "plugins" subfolder of the external DITA OT 2.4 freshly downloaded at previous step
  • went into oXygen menu Options > Preferences > DITA, set the DITA-OT to "Custom" and browsed for the correct path of the DITA-OT 2.4, applied the changes and closed oXygen
  • started oXygen with administrator privileges (you can find information about running a program as administrator: HERE for Mac and HERE for Windows) and applied the "Run DITA-OT Integrator" transformation scenario from the scenarios list in the "Configure Transformation Scenario(s) dialog"
  • Closed oXygen and restarted it with normal user privileges (not as administrator), then went into the "Configure Transformation Scenario(s)" dialog again, clicked "New" > DITA-OT transformation and found the "t1pdf" at the bottom of the transtypes list.
    You can better notice that from the attached screenshot:

Can you please try downloading the clean DITA-OT 2.4 and procced as in the above steps (it is important to run oXygen as administrator prior to running the integrator) and see if you succeed?

Let me know if I can help you further.
Costin Sandoi
lisazeng99

Post by lisazeng99 »

Hi Costin,

Thanks for your support and such detailed description.

I followed each step and rembered to run oXygen as administrator prior to running the integrator. However this plugin is still not integrated.

Would you please share your t1pdf plugin folder to me? I would like to test them in my enviroment.

Thanks!

Lisa
Costin

Post by Costin »

Hi Lisa,

I just replied on the emails thread on our support email and sent you a .zip archive of the plugin folder as attachment.
Please try using a new (clean) deployment of oXygen v19.1 and a fresh DITA-OT and it should work.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
lisazeng99

Post by lisazeng99 »

Hi Costin,

thanks for your email and the zip works in my oxygen.

To my understanding, the plugin id com.t1.pdf2 should be the plugin pdf foler name.
<plugin id="com.t1.pdf2">
<require plugin="org.dita.pdf2" />
<feature extension="dita.conductor.transtype.check" value="t1pdf" />
<feature extension="dita.transtype.print" value="t1pdf" />
<feature extension="dita.conductor.target.relative" file="integrator.xml" />
</plugin>

However, your folder name is t1pdf, and after it is installed in DITA OT and I can use oxygen to integrate it. The t1pdf type is shown in DITA Transformation Type.

So, really radicoulouse to me...

Thanks so much for your help!

Br,
Lisa