Is Open/Find Resource available in the Eclipse Plugin?

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
sanderson

Is Open/Find Resource available in the Eclipse Plugin?

Post by sanderson »

I'm trying out the Eclipse plugin, but I can't find the "Open/Find Resource" in Eclipse. Does it exist?
Costin

Re: Is Open/Find Resource available in the Eclipse Plugin?

Post by Costin »

Hi sanderson,

The "Open/Find Resource" functionality is available in the standalone oXygen software, but it was not implemented also in the Eclipse plugin.
That's because Eclipse IDE has its own "Open Resource" mechanism to find resources which have already been indexed. However, the Eclipse proprietary mechanism does index also content, so you this does not work to find resources in the content scope, like in oXygen standalone.

As a workaround, you could use the Search > File action in Eclipse to find content in specific scopes. Of course, this could take some time as there is no indexing involved, but it's still a way to find the content you are looking for.

I have just logged an improvement request in our internal issue/improvement tracking system to add oXygen's Open/Find Resource indexing mechanism also in the Eclipse plugin.
This will be analyzed by our developers and we will update this thread in case it will be implemented in a future version.

Best Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
sanderson

Post by sanderson »

Thanks. The other big missing piece, for me, in the Eclipse resource search is the ability to search specific elements.
Costin

Post by Costin »

I guess you refer to the separate "Find All Elements" action from the Find menu in the standalone Oxygen software.
As this is also not available in Eclipse, I added it to the improvement request as well.

Meanwhile, a tool which you might find very useful (requires some XPath knowledge though) is the XPath/XQuery builder (available in the oXygen perspective in Eclipse from menu Window > Show View).
You can run simple or complex XPath expressions to find specific elements or attributes in flexible contexts (scopes), like: current file, enclosing project, all files, working sets, etc.

Best Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
sanderson

Post by sanderson »

Yes, that would be helpful, but no, that's not what I was referring to.

In the Open/Find Resource, I can do things like title:string where I'm looking for string in a title element.
Costin

Post by Costin »

Oh, I got it now.
Indeed, once the Open/Find Resource mechanism will be added to Eclipse, that functionality will be implicitly available.

Meanwhile, you could try the XPath/XQuery Builder as I suggested in my previous post.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi