How to use an external Dita OT and its transformation?

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
lisazeng

How to use an external Dita OT and its transformation?

Post by lisazeng »

Hi Expert,

I use the Oxygen author 19.

How to add my dita ot to this oxygent and use my own transformation?

I downlod Dita OT 2.5.1 and follow its instruction to create a plugin com.example.html5.custom.css which has the new transformation named html5-custom-css

how to use this new transformation to publish my dita file?

I follow the oxygen guide in preference -> Dita-> Dita open Toolkit, select my location of Dita OT, however its related "html5-custom-css" is not in the transformation scenarios.

Thanks!
Costin

Re: How to use an external Dita OT and its transformation?

Post by Costin »

Hi lisazeng,

It is indeed possible to use DITA-OT plugins in order to obtain fine tuned outputs adapted to your expected results. And yes, as you already know, the
plugin must be placed in your external DITA-OT/plugins folder and set oXygen to use the custom DITA-OT from its location (things which I understand that you already performed) through the Options > Preferences > DITA preferences page.

However, once you've accomplished those first two steps, prior to being able to use the custom plugin, it is essential to run the DITA-OT integrator, which comes in oXygen as a predefined scenario in the transformation scenarios list from the "Configure Transformation Scenario(s)" dialog.

Detailed information about installing a plugin in the DITA-OT you are using are available in our User-Guide, at:
https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... lugin.html

If you successfully integrated your plugin with the DITA-OT, you should be able to find the custom transformation types (transtypes) defined through the plugin in the DITA Transformation Type dialog/chooser. To reach the DITA Transformation Type dialog, you should go into the "Configure Transformation Scenario(s)" dialog (either from oXygen menu Document > Transformation, or by using the toolbar button in respect of it) and click New, then choose "DITA-OT Transformation". If there are custom transtypes defined in your plugin (i.e "html5-custom-css"), you should be able to find them listed in the scenarios list and add them from that dialog.

An example of a custom plugin usage, is the DITA-OT Customization Plugin we have developed for customizing our User Manual:
https://github.com/oxygenxml/com.oxygenxml.pdf2.ug
You could install the plugin either from oXygen's user interface, running the DITA-OT integrator as described above, or from command-line, following the instructions on the DITA-OT Customization Plugin page I just mentioned and have a look at the "PDF2 customization for oXygen user manual" transtype, as an example.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
lisazeng

Post by lisazeng »

Dear Costin,

Yes! I follow all you instructions and now I have the oxy-ug-pdf transtype in my Oxygen now.

I really should read your instruction more carefully, since I spend around 20 minutes to reload the plugins, searching for key word oxy-ug-pdf in the dita ot transformation list while you already mentioned me to look for PDF2 customization for oXygen user manual.

I suggest Oxygen can also add your description in the https://github.com/oxygenxml/com.oxygenxml.pdf2.ug. As in this page it only shows the dita command for testing oxy-ug-pdf transtype. People like me, the fresh user of both DITA and oxygen might also need the guide how to use oxy-ug-pdf type in the Oxygen software.

Thanks so much for your quick and professional support!

Lisa Zeng
Costin

Post by Costin »

Hi Lisa,

I'm happy to hear that you've managed to obtain the transtype now.

Also your suggestion is much appreciated, so I've already discussed with our documentation team and suggested to add a link to the "Installing a Plugin in the DITA Open Toolkit" section from our User-Guide in order to make it easier for our users to better understand the whole process (which implies running the DITA-OT integrator) for obtaining the transtypes also in the oXygen's GUI.
I have the confirmation that this will be done in no time.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support