Navigation links and icons (navprev, navnext) are not inserted on Webhelp pages

Oxygen general issues.
ckabstein

Navigation links and icons (navprev, navnext) are not inserted on Webhelp pages

Post by ckabstein »

Hi,

Usually, for the navigation link arrow icons left to the print icon, the following code is inserted by default in the responsive webhelp:

Code: Select all

<div class=" wh_navigation_links ">
<span id="topic_navigation_links" class="navheader">
<span class="navprev">
<a class="link glyphicon glyphicon-arrow-left" href="some_link.html" title="sometitle">...</a>
</span>
<span class="navnext"
Now, in the latest default Webhelp Responsive output, I get the following:

<div class=" wh_navigation_links">
<span id="topic_navigation_links" class="navheader"></span>
</div>
and that's all. Could it be that something isn't working correctly?

Christina
oXygen XML Editor 25.0 build 2023013006
DITA OT 3.7.3
alin
Site Admin

Re: Navigation links and icons (navprev, navnext) are not inserted on Webhelp pages

Post by alin »

Hello,

As far as I know there were no changes regarding the navigation links in the latest oXygen release.
In order to have navigation links in the WebHelp Responsive output for a DITA topic, you should set the "collection-type" attribute to "sequence" on its parent "topicref" element in the DITA map.

For example:

<topicref href="parent.dita" collection-type="sequence">
<topicref href="child-1.dita"/>
<topicref href="child-2.dita"/>
<topicref href="child-3.dita"/>
</topicref>

Setting the @collection-type="sequence" attribute on the "parent.dita" topic will result in having the navigation links generated for the "child-1.dita", "child-2.dita" and "child-3.dita" topics (but not for "parent.dita" itself).

You can read more about the @collection-type attribute in: The navigation links generation can also be inhibited by setting the "webhelp.show.navigation.links" transformation parameter to "no". Its default value is "yes".

Regards,
Alin
Alin Balasa
Software Developer
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
ckabstein

Re: Navigation links and icons (navprev, navnext) are not inserted on Webhelp pages

Post by ckabstein »

Hi Alin,

Thanks for your reply.

I hear about the collection-type attribute for the first time and don't understand why we have to set it now if we didn't need to set it in oXygen 18.1 and used to get a proper result.

We use the default setting for webhelp.show.navigation.links, i. e. it is automatically set to "yes". But nothing happens.

And by the way, I'm writing about the arrow icons next to the print icon above the topic title, not the related links below the topics.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Christina
oXygen XML Editor 25.0 build 2023013006
DITA OT 3.7.3
alin
Site Admin

Post by alin »

Hello,
I hear about the collection-type attribute for the first time and don't understand why we have to set it now if we didn't need to set it in oXygen 18.1 and used to get a proper result.
There were no changes between 18.1 and 19 regarding the way the navigation links ("the arrow icons next to the print icon above the topic title") are generated.
I have tested this scenario on my side with one of our sample DITA maps (flowers.ditamap) and if I removed the "collection-type" attributes set on the topicrefs I would get no navigation links in both 18.1 and 19. In my opinion this is the correct behavior.

Can you please transform again the same DITA map (without the collection-type attribute being set) with both oXygen 18.1 and 19?

If in your case the 18.1 version of the output contains the navigation links and the other doesn't can you please send me a sample DITA map on which I can reproduce and further investigate the problem? In this case I will also need to know which distribution of DITA OT are you using: one of the DITA-OTs bundled with oXygen or an external one?
We use the default setting for webhelp.show.navigation.links, i. e. it is automatically set to "yes". But nothing happens.
The above parameter (if set to "yes") only enables the navigation links if the collection-type attribute is set. The purpose of this parameter (if set to "no") is to allow disabling the navigation links and thus overriding the collection-type attribute.

Regards,
Alin
Alin Balasa
Software Developer
<oXygen/> XML Editor
radu_pisoi

Post by radu_pisoi »

Hi,

We released Oxygen WebHelp 19.1 a couple of days ago and I am pleased to inform you that the possibility to set the default value for the DITA Map collection-type attribute to sequence. This option is helpful if you want to have 'Next' and 'Previous' navigational buttons generated for all HTML pages.

You can do this by using the webhelp.default.collection.type.sequence parameter. Please note that this parameter is available only for WebHelp Responsive and for DITA-OT 2.x.
Radu Pisoi
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
HomeGoods

Post by HomeGoods »

radu_pisoi wrote:You can do this by using the webhelp.default.collection.type.sequence parameter.
But searching the doc for it returns nothing.
radu_pisoi

Post by radu_pisoi »

Hi,

Yes, we had a problem in our documentation related with this parameter. It was already fixed. :D
Radu Pisoi
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
RSHelp

Post by RSHelp »

Hi,

I have the same issue of the nav prev and nav next icons not showing up in my webhelp responsive output. I'm using Oxygen XML Author 21.0 and DITA-OT version 3.1.3. I set the following parameters in the plugin_transtype and template descriptor files:

Plugin_transtype file:
<param name="webhelp.show.navigation.links"
desc="Specifies if the navigation links component will be presented in the Webhelp Responsive output."
type="enum">
<val default="true">yes</val>
<val>no</val>
</param>
<param name="webhelp.default.collection.type.sequence"
desc="Specifies if the 'sequence' value will be used by default when the collection-type attribute is not specified.
This option is helpful if you want to have 'Next' and 'Previous' navigational buttons generated for all HTML pages."
type="enum">
<val default="true">yes</val>
<val>no</val>
</param>

Template descriptor file:
<parameter name="webhelp.default.collection.type.sequence" value="yes"/>
<parameter name="webhelp.show.navigation.links" value="yes"/>

However, the webhelp responsive output is not showing the navigation links next to the print icon in all HTML topic pages. The span class for the nav next and nav prev is not showing in the webhelp. I only have the following code.

<div class=" wh_navigation_links ">
<span id="topic_navigation_links" class="navheader">
</span>
</div>

Please help.

Thanks,
RS
Oxy-help_navigationlinks.png
Oxy-help_navigationlinks.png (144.5 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
Costin

Post by Costin »

I've also replied on the email you sent us, but I will post my reply here as well:
The navlinks should work by default, if you set the show.navigation.links parameter.
You should not do any other change over the plugin or the template.

I suggest you should download and deploy a clean copy of oXygen XML Author and the set only that parameter to "yes". Please do not change anything else.

Also, you could force collection-type attribute to "sequence" on all of the topics, using the "webhelp.default.collection.type.sequence" parameter in the transformation scenario.

Let us know if you encounter any other issues.
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support