6.2 install and fail to start

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
seah0rse

6.2 install and fail to start

Post by seah0rse »

Hi

I have just installed the 6.2 including the vm on my windows XP machine. I get the following message when starting the editor:
"Cannot transfer parameters to the running <oXygen/> XML Editor."

and then the program will not start and yet it is running in the task manager. I have followed some previous advice from this forum and uninstalled 6.1, removed the com.oxygenxml folder and reinstalled cleanly. All to no avail.

Any ideas? I use oxygen nearly everyday and think its great. (ps can't wait for visual xpath in visual studio 2005)

Thanks

Tim
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hi Tim,

The message "Cannot transfer parameters to the running <oXygen/> XML Editor." tells that there is other instance of <oXygen/> already running on your machine. Kill the <oXygen/> application that you see in task manager, remove the com.oxygenxml folder from [your-home-folder]/com.oxygenxml and [your-home-folder]/Application Data/com.oxygenxml and try to restart it. Starting with version 6.2 the preferences are stored in [your-home-folder]/Application Data.

Regards,
Sorin
seah0rse

Post by seah0rse »

Hi Sorin,

Thanks for that but I have tried that and the application when ity retsarts just hangs. I have gone back to 6.0 and this is working fine. There is definatly something different in start-up between 6.0/6.1 and 6.2. My os x version of 6.2 works flawlessly (would i expect anything less).

Thanks tim
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hi,

Contact us at support at oxygenxml dot com and we will help you to generate logging data for the <oXygen/> application.

Best regards,
Sorin
jsabol

having same trouble as seah0rse

Post by jsabol »

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as seah0rse, except I'm not upgrading from 6.0. I installed 6.1, and got the same error message given below on my very first run. Today I uninstalled 6.1, installed 6.2, removed all com.oxygenxml folders, and no luck either. If you've solved this problem with seah0rse, could you post the solution? It seems like a more general problem.

Thanks!

ps. I am also using Oxygen on OSX and it works wonderfully... but I'm normally on a PC machine and really would appreciate the help!
Jeremy
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

seah0rse is not sure what fixed the issue but he believes it was an application called spybotdestroy. I think that application blocked local ports for spyware applications so <oXygen/> could not check at startup if other instance of <oXygen/> is already running. seah0rse just did a system restore to a state before that application was installed. Check if you have any application that blocks the local ports for spyware applications and allow <oXygen/> to connect to such a port.

I hope that helps,
Sorin
lynn

Post by lynn »

I too am getting the occasional 'cannot load parameters' when I start up Oxygen. I have not checked to see if Oxygen was not shut down in task manager. I only have Oxygen 6.2 installed. This seems to occur when I come out of hibernation (though I need to check and see if this occurs after a restart).

I will look at the recommended fixes and comment on what happens.
Lynn
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello Lynn,
lynn wrote:This seems to occur when I come out of hibernation (though I need to check and see if this occurs after a restart).
Do you mean that you run <oXygen/> on Mac OS and <oXygen/> was started when Mac OS was going into hibernation ? We received a crash report generated when <oXygen/> crashed after Mac OS was going out of hibernation but from the crash report we think it was a bug in the Apple's Java virtual machine related with a native window that could not be repainted anymore after hibernation ended. A restart solved the problem.

I hope it helps,
Sorin
lynn

Post by lynn »

Sorry, maybe wrong thread for this, I am using XP SP2.

Adding to my earlier comments. Even after a clean restart of the system, I am still getting the parameters message about every other time I start Oxygen. It occurred right after rebooting today.

Another issue I am seeing is Oxygen locking up when a file is changed by an external application. I get the window that says file was changed, but I do not get the buttons. the window is empty.
Lynn
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
lynn wrote:Even after a clean restart of the system, I am still getting the parameters message about every other time I start Oxygen. It occurred right after rebooting today.
Do you have a firewall or antispyware application that blocks connections to local ports of the machine ? At startup <oXygen/> checks if another instance of <oXygen/> is already running by trying to connect to a local port.
lynn wrote:Another issue I am seeing is Oxygen locking up when a file is changed by an external application. I get the window that says file was changed, but I do not get the buttons. the window is empty.
Go to Help - About - System properties and post here the values of the properties java.vm.vendor and java.vm.version. Do you get the same empty window with the <oXygen/> install kit that includes a Java virtual machine ?

Regards,
Sorin