Debugger to Editor switch problems

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
astruble

Debugger to Editor switch problems

Post by astruble »

When I switch back and forth between the editor and debugger perspectives I'm having problems in 6.2 that I haven't had in previous versions.
Sometimes I can't switch back to the editor (the debugger is stopped). Other times the state gets confused where I'll have switched to the debugger, but I can't do anything because the run button is greyed out (I hadn't started the run yet). Also another time I switched back to the editor, but the screen didn't switch back correctly, it seemed to be half in debug and half in editor.

Anne
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Dear Anne,

We need more information about these problems.
- oXygen distribution (Eclipse plugin or standalone)
- operating system
- java version uses to run oXygen
- if you are using the Eclipse plugin then the Eclipse version and build number
- oXygen build number(you can find that in Window->Preferences -- oXygen for Eclipse and in Help->About for the standalone version)

Also try to see if you can reproduce that and describe the steps we should take to reproduce the behavior.

Best Regards,
George
astruble

Steps to reproduce

Post by astruble »

I've included more information about the problem.
I'm using oXygen standalone on Windows 2000 SP 4.
Java version is 1.4.2_08
oXygen 6.2 build 2005091711
Steps to reproduce:
(I have trouble getting it to behave exactly the same every time)
1. Open oXygen
2. Open stylesheet usef for transformation
3. Open xml file to be transformed (I was using a 892KB file I don't know what normal size is)
4. Select Perspective->Debugger
5. Select Xalan as the transformer
6. Hit the Blue arrow
7. Wait a while (the full transformation takes a while) hit the red stop button.
8. Select Perspective->Editor
[At this point as I'm trying it this morning things seem to be okay, although i think yesterday they weren't maybe because I let the transformation complete on its own.]
9. Select Perspetive->Debugger
Now I am unable to click the blue arrow (it's greyed out). Same with the Red stop square. Both the icons and in the drop down menu.
Also If i go to Perspective, I can only select "Debugger" which is where I am... sort of, but if I select it nothing changes.
If I check the debugger status it says "Debug execution finished"
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi Anne,

We were not able to reproduce that. The only way the Run action should be disabled in the Debugger perspecive is if there are no files in the XML or XSL fields in debugger control como boxes. Please double check that you have files selected for both XML and XSL. If you still have problems maybe sending a screenshot at support at oxygenxml dot com will help us identify what happens.

Best Regards,
George
JessePelton

Post by JessePelton »

I've been seeing a similar problem for the last few days. I'll see if I can find a way to reproduce it consistently.
JessePelton

Post by JessePelton »

In my case, at least, the problem seems to depend on the size of the output from the last transform run before I try to switch from the debugger perspective. If the output exceeds some size, one of several things happens.

1) There's a noticeable delay after I click the editor putton on the toolbar, and the switch to the editor perspective is not completed.
2) The switch completes, but I later find that I switching back to the debugger doesn't complete.
3) Everything is fine except that the toolbars aren't painted when I switch back to the debugger; they show up when I click in one of the text panes or resize the application window.
4) Everything is fine, period.

Once oXygen begins responding in a particular way to large transform output, it tends to respond the same way if I restart (which is generally the only way I can restore it to normal function) and then perform the same transform. Sometimes, though, it changes behavior, then gets stuck in the new rut for a while.

The good news is that I can avoid all of the problematic behaviors by running a transform that has minimal output before switching from the debugger. It's a smaller hassle than having to restart.[/list]
JessePelton

Post by JessePelton »

Fooey. Pity I can't edit my posts. Please ignore editing schmutz.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello Anne and Jesse,

All the inconsistent GUI states are caused by the XHTML viewer component shipped with Sun Microsystems Java 1.4.2 virtual machines and used by the XHTML output view of the <oXygen/> XSLT Debugger perspective. Use one of the workarounds:

- disable XHTML output in Options - Preferences - XSLT/FO - Debugger;

- run <oXygen/> with Java 1.5.

Regards,
Sorin