Merge Multiple XML Files into One XML File

Questions about XML that are not covered by the other forums should go here.
ry_fisher

Merge Multiple XML Files into One XML File

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:36 pm

Hello, I have a zip folder that has multiple different XML files that I want to merge into one XML file. All files are formatted the same. Is there an easy way to merge the directory into one file?
adrian

Re: Merge Multiple XML Files into One XML File

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi,

There is with the help of XSLT.
So, since you mentioned all files are formatted the same I will assume they all have the same root element name and namespace.
This stylesheet (based on Oxygen/samples/xhtml/copy.xsl) copies the root element of the file you apply the transformation on and the children from all the XML files located in the same folder and deeper.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
    xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:fn="http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions">
    <xsl:output method="xml"/>
    <xsl:template match="/">
        <xsl:copy>
            <xsl:apply-templates mode="rootcopy"/>
        </xsl:copy>
    </xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="node()" mode="rootcopy">
            <xsl:variable name="folderURI" select="resolve-uri('.',base-uri())"/>
            <xsl:for-each select="collection(concat($folderURI, '?select=*.xml;recurse=yes'))/*/node()">
                <xsl:apply-templates mode="copy" select="."/>
            </xsl:for-each>

<!-- Deep copy template -->
    <xsl:template match="node()|@*" mode="copy">
            <xsl:apply-templates mode="copy" select="@*"/>
            <xsl:apply-templates mode="copy"/>

<!-- Handle default matching -->
    <xsl:template match="*"/>
</xsl:stylesheet>

To use this, create a new XSLT file (File > New > XSLT Stylesheet and place in it the stylesheet above. Save the file as "merge.xsl".

You should also add the files (or folder) to an Oxygen project (Project view) and create a scenario of the "XML transformation with XSLT" type for one XML file.

To set up the scenario you can either:
- open one XML file and look in the "Transformation Scenarios" view (Window > Show View > Transformation Scenarios)
- open one XML file and from the main menu invoke Document -> Transformation -> "Configure Transformation Scenario(s)" (there's a corresponding button in the toolbar)
- right click on one of the XML files from the Project view and from the contextual menu choose Transform -> "Configure Transformation Scenario(s)".

In the "Configure Transformation Scenario(s)" dialog press "New" and select "XML transformation with XSLT" to create a new scenario:
1. Give it an appropriate name (e.g. "merge all files from folder").
2. Leave the "XML URL" field to its default(${currentFileURL})
3. In the "XSL URL" field browse for your stylesheet, "merge.xsl".
4. This is an XSLT 2.0 stylesheet so you have to choose from the Transformer combo Saxon-PE or Saxon-EE.
5. You can further tune the "Output". Please note that the "Save as" field must refer a single file, NOT an output directory. Use the editor variables to compose a generic name instead of a fixed one.
e.g in the "Save as" field you can specify: ${cfd}/${cfn}-out.xml which translates into <current-file-directory>/<current-filename>-out.xml
6. Press OK in the editing dialog and "Save and close".

To apply this scenario, in the Project view right click on one of the XML files from the folder you want merged and from the contextual menu pick Transform -> "Transform with...", then select your scenario from the list and press "Apply selected scenarios
Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Taniamt

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:48 am

Hi, I am new to Oxygen and am finding it excellent. I used these instructions to merge 3 XML's into one very successfully. However I want to be able to re-run this merge with new data sets but every time I run it it adds to the last merge. How do I make it forget the last merge and just merge the 3 files? Thanks!
Radu

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:14 am

Hi,

The particular XSLT stylesheet Adrian gave as an example uses the collection XSLT 2.0 function to gather all *.xml resources from the current folder so you can either change the XSLT to parse a set of fixed XML files or make sure that in the current folder you only have the XMLs which need to be merged.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
ckarpinski

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:35 am

I used this style sheet on a folder of xml files that are all formatted the same, but it did not include the root element for each record. The original xml files have <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> then the root element is <metadata> with a series of elements inside. This merged all the files into one but does not include the <metadata> element which I need.

How do I get this to copy also?

Thank you!
adrian

Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Hi,

ckarpinski wrote:I used this style sheet on a folder of xml files that are all formatted the same, but it did not include the root element for each record. The original xml files have <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> then the root element is <metadata> with a series of elements inside. This merged all the files into one but does not include the <metadata> element which I need.

How do I get this to copy also?

Thank you!

For what you want (merge all XMLs, each with its own root) there's a slight variation, you need to start with a common root (there must be a single root element) and place everything within that. It's actually a simpler stylesheet.
Replace the first two templates (match="/" and match="node()" mode="rootcopy") with this one:

<xsl:template match="/">
        <root>
            <xsl:variable name="folderURI" select="resolve-uri('.',base-uri())"/>
            <xsl:for-each select="collection(concat($folderURI, '?select=*.xml;recurse=yes'))">
                <xsl:apply-templates mode="copy" select="."/>
            </xsl:for-each>
        </root>
The common root where all files are merged is named "root", you can change it as you need.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
murilozilli

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:34 am

The application exceeded the available memory: 1333MB. I get this error when trying to merge my files. Can you guys give me a hint on how to increase the memory on oXygen use of Java?
Radu

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:13 am

Hi,

You can modify some settings in the Oxygen installation folder in order to increase the memory allocated to the Oxygen executable:

https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/18.0/ug-editor/topics/set-parameters-for-application-launchers.html#set-parameters-for-application-launchers

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
mhGLEIF

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:16 pm

Hello Adrian,

firstly many thanks for this demonstration. It definitely works!

I wonder if you can suggest some simple modifications to make it work for this similar use case?

I've got a directory of input XML files just as described in the initial post, and I want to merge the content.

However, additionally the input files have the following structure and I'd like the output file to be merged in conformance with that, i.e.:

INPUT (illustrative):

<Root>

<Header>
<!-- ...file info... -->
<RecordCount>n</RecordCount>
<!-- ...file info... -->
</Header>

<Records>
<Record></Record>
...etc..
</Records>

</Root>

OUTPUT (even more illustrative):

<Root>

<Header>
<!-- ...more file info... -->
<RecordCount>N</RecordCount>
<!-- ...more file info... -->
</Header>

<Records>
<Record>
<!-- Copied input record node -->
</Record>

<!-- more concatenated input record nodes -->
</Records>

</Root>

Where N is the sum of n over all input files.

Would I be right in thinking there is a nice way to do this using 3 templates, something like:

<xsl:template name="main"/>

<xsl:template name="header"/>

<xsl:template name="record"/>

...so that then, it would be possible to add further transformation detail for each of the file, header and record levels?

Return to “General XML Questions”