Add transform to PDF option in oxygen web author

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
mitpatoliya

Add transform to PDF option in oxygen web author

Post by mitpatoliya »

Hi I am newbie to oxygenxml

I am using oxygen web author as dita editing platform.
I also have requirement where I want to export them as PDF but I do not see those action on UI.
Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
cristi_talau

Re: Add transform to PDF option in oxygen web author

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,

oXygen XML Web Author does not include a publishing engine.

If you want to quickly obtain a PDF file you can use the "Print" action in the "More"(triple dots) menu on the toolbar and choose to print it as a PDF. However, please note that the resulting PDF is not intended to be published.

If you want to generate high-quality PDFs publishing, you can use oXygen XML Editor (desktop edition). It comes with a default configuration for publishing DITA to PDF and you can further customize it to match your needs.

Also, note that if you plan to use Web Author in conjunction with a CMS, publishing is a feature that is usually provided by the CMS.

Best,
Cristian
cristi_talau

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,

I am trying to understand your use-case better.

In DITA, output generation is typically done on the DITA Map. If you transform a single topic and it has conrefs from another topic or references to other topics the output will contain broken links or missing parts.

1. Do your topics contain conrefs or other types of references to other topics?
2. Do you currently have a transformation that generates the PDF document from each DITA topic?
3. If yes, do you use the default DITA-OT PDF transformation, or a customized one?

Best,
Cristian
mitpatoliya

Post by mitpatoliya »

cristi_talau wrote:1. Do your topics contain conrefs or other types of references to other topics?
No it will not contain references to other topic
cristi_talau wrote:2. Do you currently have a transformation that generates the PDF document from each DITA topic?
No, I am planning to use DITA-OT transformer for that.
cristi_talau wrote:3. If yes, do you use the default DITA-OT PDF transformation, or a customized one?
I am going to use Dita-Ot

Major features which we will be using are those editing,comments and all those parts. So, idea is to keep track of all those editing on document and in parallel to that there will be associated PDF version of that file which will be clean copy without edit information.
cristi_talau

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

In the oXygen Author (desktop edition) we have a "View Final" mode which presents the document as if all the changes are accepted. We also have a "View Original" mode that considers all the changes rejected. This will allow your users to see a clean copy of the document (without the edits).

If we implemented this feature in Web Author, would that be enough for your use-case?

Best,
Cristian
cristi_talau

Post by cristi_talau »

I am updating this thread to let you know that Oxygen XML Web Author version 23 was released it now contains functionality that lets you download the document as PDF. The PDF output is customizable with CSS.

For more details about this release you can check out the what's new page: https://www.oxygenxml.com/xml_web_author/whats_new.html .

Best,
Cristian