Problem with using specialized elements in documents

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
surangamas

Problem with using specialized elements in documents

Post by surangamas »

Hi, This question is more of an extension of a specialization question that I asked a few years, back in the days when I was using Oxygen v. 13: topic6669.html

I am currently evaluating Oxygen XML Author v. 17.1 on Mac OS X EL Capitan 10.11.4.

I was trying to create a blank DITA document and testing these specialized elements; I've created a DTD, ENT and a MOD file for this purpose, I will also send these files to: support@oxygenxml.com, in addition, I've also saved my specialized DTD, MOD and ENT files to: \Applications\oxygenAuthor\frameworks\dita\DITA-OT\dtd\txvia\dtd\

I've also inserted the following entries in /Applications/oxygenAuthor/frameworks/dita/DITA-OT/catalog-dita_template.xml:

Code: Select all

<public publicId="-//TxVia//DTD DITA Topic//EN" uri="txviaTopic.dtd" xml:base="dtd/txvia/dtd/"></public>
<public publicId="-//TXVIA//Specialized Domain//EN" uri="txviaDomain.mod" xml:base="dtd/txvia/dtd/"></public>
<public publicId="-//TXVIA//Specialized Domain ENTITY//EN" uri="txviaDomain.ent" xml:base="dtd/txvia/dtd/">
Note: the "DITA-OT" directory contains my customized XSLT codes, so I am not really using the OT folder that came with the installation.

So this is what I tried to do:

I tried to create a blank XML file and I can't seem to locate my specialized element when I tried to insert one, am I missing any steps, or am I doing something wrong?

Again, i will send the three specialization files to support@oxygenxml.com, thanks.
Radu

Re: Problem with using specialized elements in documents

Post by Radu »

Hi Arthur,

Usually a DITA specialization needs to be bundled as a DITA Open Toolkit plugin. You can find an example of such a plugin here:

OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR\frameworks\dita\DITA-OT\plugins\mathml

I created such a DITA Open Toolkit plugin for your specialization and attached it to an email.
You can integrate this plugin in the DITA Open Toolkit like this:

https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... ation.html

You also need to go to the Oxygen Preferences->DITA page and make sure that the default used DITA Open Toolkit is the one in which you integrated the plugin.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
surangamas

Post by surangamas »

Hi,
Thanks for the modified plugin, really appreciate it!

I know that this plugin requires the default DITA-OT to work (the one shipped with the current version of Oxygen), but since I am using an older version of DITA-OT (1.2), how do I get this to work on that older version with Oxygen v. 17? Any information you can direct me to? Thank you.
surangamas

Post by surangamas »

Hi
I copy the files you sent me and copied them to the dita-ot/plugin directory according to the structure of the folder you sent me, then I ran the integrator, everything went ok.

I then tried to create a blank doc template by opening a blank DITA doc, and in text mode, I have the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE topic PUBLIC "-//TxVia//DTD DITA Topic//EN" "dtd/txvia/dtd/">
<topic id="test">
<title></title>
<body>
<p></p>
</body>
</topic>

when I tried to go back to Author mode, a popup came up and said:

"Could not open the document in "Author" mode:
Cannot parse document: A '(' character or an element type is required in the declaration of element type "artifact_type"."

Did I miss any steps? Thanks.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

I noticed the same problem. It is probably caused by some mistake done during the specialization, the DTDs are invalid.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
surangamas

Post by surangamas »

Hi Radu:

Is it possible for you to take a look at the DTD file I sent you? There might've been a typo somewhere but I couldn't seem to locate it, any help from you is greatly appreciated.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

I answered you in private.
Basically once you set up an XML catalog for your specialization, an application will prefer to solve public IDs through the XML catalog and those public ID values must point to the proper DTDs.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
surangamas

Post by surangamas »

Hi Radu:
Thanks, with your help, I finally got it to work, Oxygen rocks! Thanks again.