Display topic numbers

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
Patrik

Display topic numbers

Post by Patrik »

Hi,

the topic number from the PDF is an important key information when modifying the DITA sources in oXygen. Thus, it would be very helpful to display them in oxygen as well. That is, in
- the author mode on each title for topics and maps
- the DITA Maps Manager
- the Outline window

Is such a feature already available or planned?

Thanks and regards,
Patrik
Radu

Re: Display topic numbers

Post by Radu »

Hi Patrik,

Usually the PDF shows only the chapter number so you are probably referring to numbering chapters in the DITA Maps Manager and when the topics referenced as chapters are opened.
We discussed this but we'll probably not do this in the near future. It's quite hard to implement, we would need to keep cachings of the exact place of a topicref in the DITA Map, update those caches when people modify the DITA Map and move topicrefs around. Also it may be possible that a topic may be referenced in more than one location in the DITA Map, some of those references being profiled and filtered in certain outputs. So only when the output is built you would have an exact numbering of topics.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Patrik

Re: Display topic numbers

Post by Patrik »

Hi Radu,

in all our PDFs each topic has a number like 1.2.3.4 for a topic on 4th level. Abd we never use the same topic twice in a ditamap - so it's always unique.
Actually, in my custom framework I already implemented it, so I will convert it to using DITA maps as well. Just wanted to make sure I'm not implementing things on my own that are already available.

Thanks and regards,
Patrik