Wow, fast Java app

Oxygen general issues.
lokiju

Wow, fast Java app

Post by lokiju »

Hi Oxygen team,

I just tested Oxygen XML editor shortly the first time today. I'm impressed! The first think I noticed is that this app starts really fast for a Java application. I saw it's all EXE files under Windows. Could you tell me how you did this? Is there a java->exe compiler I don't know of?

Hopefully tomorrow I'll then also have the time to evaluate the XML features of your editor :-). I was looking for an alternative tool with this nice-looking schema view from XMLSpy. Seems your tool support's it. I'll see...

Jan
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi Jan,

There is nothing special at startup, we only made sure we are not doing anything that is not required. The executable is generated by the Advanced Installer installer and it calls the Java main class.

Best Regards,
George
lokiju

What I'm really missing is...

Post by lokiju »

a "grid view" like XMLSpy's tool, where I can edit and preview XML content easily within tables. Is this planned for future releases?

Maybe there's already a timeline for this feature?
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

This is one possible feature for v7. You can cast your vote for it at

What feature would you most need in the next version?
On the right of
http://www.oxygenxml.com

Best Regards,
George
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Ok, I did my vote, but where can I see the results so far?

Since I've to do more and more XML stuff at work I'm (we are) looking for a suitable editor solution. XMLSpy and Stylus Studio both look good, but are too expensive and not available for Linux (ok, with the Wine emulator at least XMLSpy would work I guess).

BTW I heard that XMLSpy is based on Altova's own parsers and XSL engines. Why do they do this, what is the advantage?

To come back to this great Spy grid view: I'm really missing this in Oxygen. Without I cannot use any XML editor in the future :-). I saw a grid view in Stylus Studio XML editor, but this looks ugly. Is there a patent in Altova's grid view? If not, please just copy this and the next user(s) is/are definitely coming to the Oxygen zone :-).

Thanks!
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

The results are not generally available.
I do not know if there are advantages but the XML parser/XSLT processor support on C on Windows was not very good so there were not choices actually. In Java on the other hand you find the best processors for both XML and XSLT - Xerces2 J and Saxon/Xalan.

Best Regards,
George
lokiju

Gridview

Post by lokiju »

Hi george,

Thanks for your answer!
I really like your editor, but I've to come back to one question: Is there a patent on Altova's enhanced grid view design? I saw many XML editors with similar "table views", but all look ugly and are quite unhandy in use. If not, would it be possible to just copy this perfect view design?:

http://www.altova.com/features_gridview.html

We often need to have a look on already existing data, so the above grid "enhanced grid view" is simply perfect.

At the moment we're using two single XMLSpy licenses at work, but we need much more (about 15, wasn't possible yet because XMLSpy is not really cheap). I really would tend to buy Oxygen licences for all the people, if there was something similar we could use to browse existing data in a way this grid view allows us.

Thanks!
Jan
ksuderman

Post by ksuderman »

I just wanted to chip in and say that I notice a significant speed increase between 6.2 and 6.1. Maybe its just me, or the fact that I rebooted windows (which I don't do very often) before trying 6.2, but it sure seems faster to me. Not only during start up, but loading documents, etc. as well.

Good work all, <oXygen/> has quickly become my XML editor of choice.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.