Prompt to install Java 1.6 runtime when starting oXygen on M

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
joewiz

Prompt to install Java 1.6 runtime when starting oXygen on M

Post by joewiz »

When I fired up oXygen for the first time after upgrading from Mac OS X 10.8 to 10.9 (Mavericks), the system prompted me to install Java 6, even though I had already installed the Java 1.7.0_45 JDK from Oracle:
To open "Oxygen XML Editor," you need a Java SE 6 runtime. Would you like to install one now? Not now / Install
I had thought that Oxygen was bundled with its own JRE, and expected that at worst it would fall back on the system version of Java.

I don't consider the Java 6 requirement a problem - just a hiccup. Posting here in case others encounter this.
adrian

Re: Prompt to install Java 1.6 runtime when starting oXygen

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Only the Windows and Linux kits of Oxygen bundle a JRE (Java SE 7) with the installation.
The OS X kit of Oxygen up to and including v15.1 relies on the system installed Java SE 6 from Apple. It does not it officially support or recognize the system installed Java SE 7 (yet).

As you've observed, when starting the application for the first time, the system prompts you to install Java SE 6 and after installing it, the application starts as expected.
We are currently testing Oxygen with Java SE 7 u40/u45 on OS X and we will most likely bundle it in our distribution kits starting with version 15.2.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
joewiz

Re: Prompt to install Java 1.6 runtime when starting oXygen

Post by joewiz »

Great, thanks for this info, Adrian.
rhiannonppl

Re: Prompt to install Java 1.6 runtime when starting oXygen on M

Post by rhiannonppl »

Having upgraded my computer to the El Capitan beta, I notice that I still needed to install the legacy JRE for oXygen 17. Is this likely to change any time soon?
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

There are two builds at http://www.oxygenxml.com/xml_editor/dow ... ditor.html: I assume you downloaded the one clearly labeled, "Mac OS X 10.6 and later (Requires Java SE 6)", as opposed to the one labeled, "OS X 10.8 and later (Includes Java SE 8u40)"? If you'd prefer to avoid the Java SE 6 bit, you can download the latter version.
rhiannonppl

Post by rhiannonppl »

Ah thanks. I just didn't look far enough down the page!
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

Great. That's the one I've been running, for some time now - and it works perfectly, no issues. Cheers.