Can't read error messages in Eclipse plugin

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
noelbush

Can't read error messages in Eclipse plugin

Post by noelbush »

When oXygen produces an error message on an XML document, schema, whatever, and reports it in the "Problems" view in Eclipse, it is often very hard to read the message.

The error messages are (thank you) very informative, and I would not want to see them abbreviated. But there needs to be some way to actually read them. They don't fit in the table in "Problems".

If you open the item (right-click and choose Properties), then the message is jammed into the "Description" field, which is a one-line field, and so it still isn't readable. You can sort of "scroll" through it using arrow keys, but this is very cumbersome and virtually useless.

The only solution I've found is to copy and paste it to an external text editor, which is (obviously) very irritating.

I imagine this is a problem posed by what Eclipse offers in the GUI facilities, but someone must have a creative idea about this.

I also don't imagine I'm the first person to note this, but I searched the archives and couldn't find a report.

Thanks for a wonderful product.
sorin_ristache

Re: Can't read error messages in Eclipse plugin

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
noelbush wrote:The only solution I've found is to copy and paste it to an external text editor, which is (obviously) very irritating.
Hover the mouse pointer over the red circle marker to the left side of the line with the problem in the editor panel. That will display a multiline tooltip with the whole error message.

I hope that helps,
Sorin
noelbush

Post by noelbush »

sorin wrote:Hover the mouse pointer over the red circle marker to the left side of the line with the problem in the editor panel. That will display a multiline tooltip with the whole error message.
Thanks for the reply. This does not seem to work for me. I am using Eclipse 3.1 on Fedora Core. I suppose this is an Eclipse issue.... :cry:
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

noelbush wrote:This does not seem to work for me. I am using Eclipse 3.1 on Fedora Core. I suppose this is an Eclipse issue.... :cry:
Works on Win XP Pro. Probably an issue of Eclipse on Linux.

Best regards,
Sorin
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

We added a bugzilla entry with this, we will check to see if we are able to reproduce the behavior with Eclipse on Linux and we will try to find a fix/workaround for that.

Best Regards,
George
noelbush

Post by noelbush »

Thanks. I put an entry in Eclipse's bugzilla for this, too.

Where can I view the oXygen bugzilla?
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

That is not generally available, sorry.
We do notify the corresponding forum entry when we update the entry, see for instance
http://www.oxygenxml.com/forum/ftopic1157.html

Best Regards,
George