Show path anywhere?

Questions about XML that are not covered by the other forums should go here.
xmler

Show path anywhere?

Post by xmler »

Hi, I'm new to Oxygen XML.

I was wondering if it has the facility to show you the path as you select XML.

I know you can select a section of text, right click and Copy XPath but I'd like to see the full path just by clicking on a particular piece of text - is there a toolbar or something I can activate to do this ?

Any help appreciated
thanks
florin

Re: Show path anywhere?

Post by florin »

Hello,

You can see the XPath expression, corresponding to the section where the caret is positioned in the document, either in the XPath toolbar, or in the XPath/XQuery Builder side view.

The XPath toolbar is located in the application toolbars area. You'll have to activate the "XPath update on caret move" option located in the popup menu corresponding to the Settings button at the right side of the XPath field.

To make visible the XPath/XQuery Builder side view, activate it from the Window > Show View sub-menu. After, you'll have to activate the "Update on caret move" option located in the popup menu corresponding to the Settings button in the right side of the view's toolbar.

Whether you use the XPath toolbar or the XPath/XQuery Builder side view, please note that there is a difference between the XPath expression displayed by any of them and the XPath expression returned by the Copy XPath action - the latter also contains the position of each element, while the former does not.

Best regards,
Florin
Florin Avram
<oXygen/> XML Editor
xmler

Post by xmler »

Thanks, this is what I was after :-

"The XPath toolbar is located in the application toolbars area. You'll have to activate the "XPath update on caret move" option located in the popup menu corresponding to the Settings button at the right side of the XPath field."

I can see the path when I click in the XML now

However, I can't see the full path without scrolling in the XPath box. Can I stretch this box ? I've got a 22" monitor so if I could stretch the box I'd be able to see the full path

Thanks
florin

Post by florin »

Hi,

Unfortunately, the XPath field is not resizable. If the paths are too long, then I recommend to use the XPath/XQuery Builder side view. You can move it at the bottom of the oXygen window so that it has a horizontal layout and the paths will be fully displayed.

Best regards,
Florin
Florin Avram
<oXygen/> XML Editor
xmler

Post by xmler »

"use the XPath/XQuery Builder side view. You can move it at the bottom of the oXygen window so that it has a horizontal layout and the paths will be fully displayed."

ok thanks, doing that has let me see the full path.

Maybe in a future update the XPath field could be made resizable :)

thanks again
vtau

Post by vtau »

"To make visible the XPath/XQuery Builder side view, activate it from the Window > Show View sub-menu. After, you'll have to activate the "Update on caret move" option located in the popup menu corresponding to the Settings button in the right side of the view's toolbar."

I'm helping someone on an older version (v12 and can't update). they can open the XPath Builder view but there is no option to sleect 'update on selection/caret move' so they cannot see any paths. Is there another way to make them visible?
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

In v12.2 "XPath update on caret move" is available as a toggle button in the toolbar, on the right of the cogwheel (XPath options) button.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com