XTDE0640: Attempt to access a variable while it is being eva

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
sderrick

XTDE0640: Attempt to access a variable while it is being eva

Post by sderrick »

XTDE0640: Attempt to access a variable while it is being evaluated
And now your done because the debugger has crashed!

This happens quite regularly when stepping through the debugger.

Saying its frustrating is an understatement! I don't care if the Saxon engine is crippled in its support for debugging. The debugger should not crash! Ever!

Scott
sderrick

Re: XTDE0640: Attempt to access a variable while it is being

Post by sderrick »

Well, I upgraded from 16.1 to 17.0 too see if that would help any.

And it did! In fact it appears that the debugger is evaluating local variables in real time! WOOHOO!!! And no crash from
XTDE0640: Attempt to access a variable while it is being evaluated

However stepping is extremely weird.

I can send you an xml and xsl file to demonstrate but essentially "Step Over" is completely broken. If I'm in a template on a line, say a <xsl:variable.. line, I press "Step over" and it steps out of the template instead of over the <xsl:variable line, as it should. "Step Over" is unusable. Its almost like the "Step Over" button is mapped to "Step Out"?

I can work around this bug by putting break points on every line and then using the "run" button, which is a lot of extra work to just step over a line of code.

I can "step into" which works as it should but then i'm going all over the xsl file which I don't want to do! I just want to see what happens when I execute this particular line of code!

Major gains in getting back the real time eval of locals!!!
Major back step for buggy "Step Over".

Scott
ionela

Post by ionela »

Hi Scott,

Could you please specify what edition of Saxon are you using (PE/ EE)?
Depending on the Saxon version, some optimizations are done which may affect Step over / Step in functionality.
There is an option in oXygen called Optimization level ("-opt") which controls the level of granularity. The value for this option is an integer in the range 0 (no optimization) to 10 (full optimization) and by default the option is set to 10 (full optimization).

To solve this issue you can set this option to 0. To do this, you can edit the transformation scenario and in Advanced Options section (next to the Transformer combo box) set Optimization level ("-opt") to 0.
The same option can be set also in Debugger > Advanced options.

Also, if you want to set this option globally you can do this from Options > Preferences > XML / XSLT-FO-XQuery / XSLT / Saxon / Saxon-HE/PE/EE > Optimization level > 0.

If the problem persists, please send us some sample files to support@oxygenxml.com.

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
sderrick

Post by sderrick »

Mint 17.1
Oxygen stand alone alone
Saxon PE 9.9.0.5

OK I changed the global opt to 0

no change in "step over" behaviour.

I emailed some example files.

Scott
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello Scott,

Thank you for the sample files.
We were able to reproduce the problems you are describing (even with optimization level set to 0).
An issue has been logged on our issue tracking tool for this to be further analyzed.

A possible workaround would be to use multiple breakpoints in such contexts.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com