force loading of the HiDPI resources in oxygen 17

Oxygen general issues.
matchew

force loading of the HiDPI resources in oxygen 17

Post by matchew »

I'm using Oxygen in probably a rare environment. Debian 8 on a chromebook pixel under crouton. It has an HiDpi screen but I don't think oxygen is loading correctly. Everything is tiny and not scaled. I presume oXygen natively recognizes retina displays in OSX and sets the setting correctly. Is there a java setting I can pass or an oXygen setting I'm missing?
adrian

Re: force loading of the HiDPI resources in oxygen 17

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Currently (in v17.0) the HiDPI support from Oxygen is limited to Windows and OS X. There is no user option for this, it's detected depending on the platform.
Unfortunately the Linux implementation of the Java runtime does not have specialized support for HiDPI, so there is no Java property that can help with this.

For v17.1, we will investigate and try to at least offer the possibility of forcing HiDPI mode one way or another.

Later Edit: I forgot to mention that, until this support becomes available, at least for text there is a rudimentary workaround. You could go to Options > Preferences, Fonts, and double the size of all fonts (including GUI). Restart the application to correctly apply the GUI changes.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
matchew

Post by matchew »

Thanks for the response. The edit proved useful. I had already changed my font sizes, but somehow completely overlooked the GUI font size. It is unfortunate about the lack of linux support, but I understand that is not the fault of the oXygen developers, but Java. Hopefully, an option that forces HiDPI support finds its way into 17.1
chaeron

Post by chaeron »

I'm configuring a new Dell XPS 13 Dev Edition (Ubuntu) which has a hiDPI screen. The text sizes tip makes oXygen usable.

Another approach is to edit the oxygen.sh file and insert some commands to change the screen resolution while running oXygen as follows, by surrounding the oxygen start java command with the following:

Code: Select all

# set scaling to x1.0
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 1
gsettings set com.ubuntu.user-interface scale-factor "{'HDMI1': 8, 'eDP1': 8}"
xrandr -s 1920x1080

# call oXygen
"${OXYGEN_JAVA}" -Xmx15000m\.....

# set scaling to x2.0
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2
gsettings set com.ubuntu.user-interface scale-factor "{'HDMI1': 8, 'eDP1': 16}"
xrandr -s 3200x1800
This changes the screen rez for all apps and then back again when you quit oXygen.

Hopefully 17.1 will have a better solution, pending hiDPI support in Linux Java at some point.
......Andrzej