Conversion from Word to Doc Book TEI to Epub/pdf - Any easie

Oxygen general issues.
Sook

Conversion from Word to Doc Book TEI to Epub/pdf - Any easie

Post by Sook »

Hi Costin,

Thank you so much for the reply. I understand the need to work with a common XML document format instead, in which I could include the content you need from the Word document and finally publish it to whatever format you want. We have a few hundred word documents, it takes a lot of time to copy and paste over.

Instead of pasting the content into the XML Doc Book document or DITA, I attempted to convert the word into XML via DOXC PEI-T5. This is followed by transformation to EPub or pdf using Oxygen. However, it does not quite seem to work as the formatting in the output of EPub or pdf is gone. The new formatting generated is really way out.

Is there anyway which I could convert Word to XML and then to EPub with the same formatting? Or is there anyway of inserting the stylesheet in? Kindly advise. Thank you.
adrian

Re: Conversion from Word to Doc Book TEI to Epub/pdf - Any e

Post by adrian »

Hi,

As you've observed, the conversion stylesheets are very limited and can lead to a significant loss of formatting. At this time we cannot recommend them if you care about the formatting.

I'm afraid that the only course of action is still the smart copy/paste feature which can be time consuming. (Open the document in Word, copy content from there and paste in Oxygen in a DocBook, DITA or TEI document). It's not immediately apparent but what this does is that Word converts the content to HTML when you're copying it to clipboard and Oxygen (via the smart paste) then converts this HTML content into one of the supported XML types (DocBook, DITA or TEI).

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com