Reopen document, reopen project menus in Ubuntu 15.04

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
odeon

Reopen document, reopen project menus in Ubuntu 15.04

Post by odeon »

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Ubuntu box from 14.10 to 15.04. This has caused oddities in the oXygen menu listings for Reopen documents and Reopen projects. The documents and projects are still listed but are now visibly wrapped in <html> and <span> elements.

I also noticed that the keyboard shortcuts for menu bar access seem to be broken. I can display the menu by pressing Alt, but I can't access anything.

Best regards,

Ari Nordström
odeon

Re: Reopen document, reopen project menus in Ubuntu 15.04

Post by odeon »

Oh, and I should add that I'm runninhg oXygen Editor 16.1, Enterprise Edition.

Best,

/Ari
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

We have not yet tested Oxygen with Ubuntu 15.04.
My guess is the menu problem is caused by an incompatibility of the Java runtime bundled with Oxygen (Java SE 7u55 for Oxygen v16.1) with the new window manager from Ubuntu 15.
Until we get the chance to test Oxygen in Ubuntu 15, you could try to run Oxygen with the OpenJDK 7 Java runtime available from the Ubuntu repository. Instructions on how to install OpenJDK are available here:
http://openjdk.java.net/install/

Oxygen deploys its own bundled JRE, so you will have to bypass it. To do this, quit the application, navigate to the Oxygen installation folder and rename the 'jre' folder. e.g. 'jreold'. When you start Oxygen, it will automatically pick up and use your system installed Java VM.

You can check what Java Virtual Machine is Oxygen running on in Help > About, "System properties". Look for the properties:
java.runtime.name
java.runtime.version

If Oxygen doesn't pick up OpenJDK automatically after it has been set as the default Java runtime, you can create a symbolic link as described below.

If you don't want to make OpenJDK the default Java runtime or Oxygen doesn't detect it, you can create a symbolic link named 'jre' in the Oxygen installation folder that points to the OpenJDK folder. To find out where OpenJDK is installed use:
alternatives --list
Then you can create the symbolic link pointing to the appropriate location:
e.g.
ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64 Oxygen/jre

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
odeon

Post by odeon »

Thank you. And, as always, thank you for an excellent product.

/Ari
odeon

Post by odeon »

Hi,

Changing to OpenJDK didn't help, unfortunately. The tags are still present in the menu and I can't access the menu bar items using the keyboard. I also think the applications is a bit slower to react with the OpenJDK, so I'll probably revert to the built-in JRE.

The problem is an inconvenience but not a biggie at the moment. Serves me right for upgrading without testing in a VM first. :)

All the best,

/Ari
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello Ari,

We have tested Oxygen 16.1 in Ubuntu 15.04 and can confirm the menu problems. Unfortunately using OpenJDK does not help in this regard because the problem lies elsewhere.
I would also recommend reverting to the built-in JRE (we test Oxygen thoroughly with that particular version).

These menu problems that you are encountering in Ubuntu 15 with Oxygen appear because the Jayatana package is installed by default (it was optional in Ubuntu 14). The Jayatana package integrates the menus of Java Swing applications with the Unity global menu (top bar menu). However, since Oxygen does a lot of tricks with items from the menus, some of these tricks backfire in the way you've seen.
We will investigate the integration with Jayatana and hopefully correct it in a future version of Oxygen. I've submitted this on our issue tracking tool.

The quick and dirty solution is to remove the jayatana package from Ubuntu:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove jayatana
I had to restart Ubuntu after this.
Note that this affects all Java applications, not just Oxygen. The menu will drop back into the application window, but it will work as expected (as it did in Ubuntu 14).

If you want to avoid this just for Oxygen, edit the 'oxygen16.1' script (or any other Oxygen script that you use) and insert a line after the comments at the beginning of the script with:

Code: Select all

unset JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS
Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
odeon

Post by odeon »

Hi,

Thank you.