Line break attributes not visible in the Author mode

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
ekilar

Line break attributes not visible in the Author mode

Post by ekilar »

Hi,

is it possible to make the line break attributes visible in the Author mode? Especially 'Line break: PDF only'. Right now when I insert this attribute in the Author mode, it is there, but I have to switch to the Text mode to make sure that I placed it in the right location. And sometimes when you switch to the Text mode, the cursor goes back to the beginning of the file and you have to search for the location of the line break. Besides, when more than one person works on a file, you might not even notice that the line breaks are in the wrong places after you add or delete some content. I basically work in the Author mode and cannot understand why all the other attributes have tags and are visible and these ones are not.

Please let me know whether there's an option to change this.

Regards,
Ewa
alex_jitianu

Re: Line break attributes not visible in the Author mode

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hello Ewa,

What vocabulary are you using? Can you provide a small XML block with in which I can see this line break attribute?

Code: Select all

I basically work in the Author mode and cannot understand why all the other attributes have tags and are visible and these ones are not.
From the phrase above, I tend to believe that this line break is actually an XML element? A small XML sample would be very helpful.

Once I understand the XML structure I should be able to give you a CSS based solution (the layout and formatting of the Author mode is based on CSS). Basically you can write a CSS rule in which to describe how you want that particular information to be rendered.

Best regards,
Alex
ekilar

Post by ekilar »

Hi Alex,

for example, I want to insert a line break for PDF in the codeblock element. In the Text mode, the codeblock looks like this:

<codeblock>command <varname>user</varname> -p <varname>password</varname> action<?linebreak pdf?> parm1 --parm2 “value1” "value2"</codeblock>

In the Author mode I use Full Tags with Attributes mode, and the codeblock element has a tag, varname element has a tag, but linebreak pdf does not, in the Author mode it looks like there's nothing between 'action' and 'parm1'. While in the Text mode, you have <?linebreak pdf?>. What I would expect is that the line break attribute is somehow marked in the Author mode as well.

I hope that it explains what I mean.

Regards,
Ewa
alex_jitianu

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hello Ewa,

Yes, I think I've understood. By default the Author mode hides the processing instructions. To present them you have to go to Options->Preferences... on the Editor / Edit modes / Author page and select
Show processing instructions. After doing this, all processing instructions will be presented. If this is too much (you just want these line break processing instructions to be presented) you can write some CSS rules to control which PIs are presented which are not. For example if you add these lines in ${frameworks}/dita/css_classed/dita.css after the @import directives, only the line break PIs will be rendered (and only by a red line):

Code: Select all

@namespace oxy "http://www.oxygenxml.com/extensions/author";

oxy|processing-instruction {
display:none !important;
}

oxy|processing-instruction[linebreak] {
visibility:-oxy-collapse-text;
display:block !important;
border-bottom:1px solid red !important;
}
Best regards,
Alex
ekilar

Post by ekilar »

Thanks for your help, now I feel much safer with editing files :)

Regards,
Ewa