Hidden files in SVN working copy on OS X Yosemite

Oxygen general issues.
robert3L

Hidden files in SVN working copy on OS X Yosemite

Post by robert3L »

I just got a new MacBook running OS X Yosemite, and talked my company into upgrading me from Author 14 to the latest. :D

I'm having a noncritical but annoying issue and I would like to sort out if it's behavior of OS X or the SVN client, or both.

The company I work for maintains all technical documentation files in a Subversion repository. Now, when I open a file in the local working copy, and then close it, a hidden file gets written in the same folder. For example, if I open a file Trial Guide.pdf in Preview, a hidden file ._Trial Guide.pdf gets written to storage. The same happens for .docx files I open in Pages. I get hidden stuff like ._Linux Installation Guide.docx.

This didn't happen with Author 14 running on OS X 10.6.x, or if it did, the SVN client didn't show the hidden files. I don't mind so much that the files are getting written... they're only a few KB. But after half a day of work the Commit dialog is all cluttered up with ._Crap hidden files and I have to take time to make sure I'm not committing any of them. Is there some setting in the SVN client that would stop it from showing these in the Working Copy view and Commit dialog?
florin

Re: Hidden files in SVN working copy on OS X Yosemite

Post by florin »

Hello,

The behavior your describe (the generation of ._ files) is not oXygen, nor Syncro SVN Client specific, but rather dictated by an OS option or by another application you have installed.

Anyway, you can avoid seeing these files in Syncro SVN Client by instructing the application to ignore them for any working copy you load. For this, open the Preferences dialog box (Options > Preferences), go to the "SVN / Working copy" options page and add this pattern "._*" (without quotes) in the field corresponding to the "File name ignore patterns" option, located at the bottom of the page.

After a refresh of the working copy, those files should be ignored by SVN. You will see them in the working copy only if you enable the "Show ignored items" option located in the Settings drop-down menu of the Working copy view's toolbar (on the right side).

Best regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
http://www.syncrosvnclient.com
Florin Avram
<oXygen/> XML Editor
robert3L

Re: Hidden files in SVN working copy on OS X Yosemite

Post by robert3L »

Perfect... thanks!
florin wrote:Hello,

The behavior your describe (the generation of ._ files) is not oXygen, nor Syncro SVN Client specific, but rather dictated by an OS option or by another application you have installed.

Anyway, you can avoid seeing these files in Syncro SVN Client by instructing the application to ignore them for any working copy you load. For this, open the Preferences dialog box (Options > Preferences), go to the "SVN / Working copy" options page and add this pattern "._*" (without quotes) in the field corresponding to the "File name ignore patterns" option, located at the bottom of the page.

After a refresh of the working copy, those files should be ignored by SVN. You will see them in the working copy only if you enable the "Show ignored items" option located in the Settings drop-down menu of the Working copy view's toolbar (on the right side).

Best regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
http://www.syncrosvnclient.com