How to access local WebHelp

Oxygen general issues.
mark_whisler

How to access local WebHelp

Post by mark_whisler »

This is a similar question to one asked by tomjohnson1492 here. We're using oXygen 16.1 to create a WebHelp system that our customers ought to be able to access from a local install, or on the internet. When a user opens the help at file:/// ...index.html, the TOC displays, but the content frame is empty. If I switch the call to file:///...index_frameset.html, I can view the pages, but links open new browser tabs (in IE) with no navigation aids (breadcrumbs, return to parent topic links, etc.)

I'd like to be able to not require local users to use file:///...index_frameset.html because that disables a lot of the cool navigation tools like breadcrumbs. Are there browser settings that we can enable to bypass the javascript restrictions?

While we're on the subject, our Help was migrated from RoboHelp, and the primary output target was master.html, not index.html. I'd like to be able to extend the xhtml output transform to let me use master.html.
sorin_ristache

Re: How to access local WebHelp

Post by sorin_ristache »

mark_whisler wrote:I'd like to be able to not require local users to use file:///...index_frameset.html because that disables a lot of the cool navigation tools like breadcrumbs. Are there browser settings that we can enable to bypass the javascript restrictions?
They are more like security restrictions designed to prevent security/malware breaches, not simple JavaScript restrictions. The browsers (Chrome, IE) only offer the option to enable or disable JavaScript in one go, not the option to disable the security restrictions.
mark_whisler wrote:While we're on the subject, our Help was migrated from RoboHelp, and the primary output target was master.html, not index.html. I'd like to be able to extend the xhtml output transform to let me use master.html.
Do you mean to change the name of the main entry file for the WebHelp pages, which is index.html for the internal frames version of the WebHelp pages, and index_frames.html for the frameset version? It can be changed, but the way to do that depends on the way you generate the WebHelp pages in Oxygen: the DITA WebHelp transformation, the DocBook WebHelp one? You did not specify the type of your (input) documents.
Regards,
Sorin

<oXygen/> XML Editor Support
mark_whisler

Post by mark_whisler »

Apologies. We're using a modified version of the DITA to WebHelp transformation. I've puttered around with the parameters dialog box but haven't found anything that jumps out at me as "make this change to get what you want".

Thanks
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

The output file name is set to index.html on line 215 in file OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR\frameworks\dita\DITA-OT\plugins\com.oxygenxml.webhelp\xsl\createMainFiles.xsl:

Code: Select all

<xsl:with-param name="fileName" select="concat('index', $OUTEXT)"/>
You can change this line to the following:

<xsl:with-param name="fileName" select="concat('master', $OUTEXT)"/>
The OUTEXT variable receives the value from the args.outext transformation parameter.
Regards,
Sorin

mark_whisler

Post by mark_whisler »

Cool deal. Found that no problem and now my webhelp starts in master.htm. One problem though, when I try to open an individual html file* the webhelp is invoked somehow and it wants to find index.html even though we aren't using it. For example,
I click on the file sta_about_sta.htm in \webhelp\analyze\sta folder, this is the string that appears in the browser:

file://sj-swnas01a/swdev/techpubs/quartusditawebhelp/webhelp/index.htm?q=/swdev/techpubs/quartusditawebhelp/webhelp/analyze/sta/sta_about_sta.htm
When I add a copy of master.htm and rename it to index.htm, everything works as expected.

Do I need to maintain index.htm, even if I'm using master.htm as my home topic?

*We're doing some QA on RoboHelp files converted to DITA then reprocessed using oXygen.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

The index.html file name is used in a hard-coded way in multiple files of the WebHelp transformation. Please replace any index.html occurrence with master.html in all files from directory:

OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR\frameworks\dita\DITA-OT\plugins\com.oxygenxml.webhelp
Maybe we should replace the hard-coded file name index.html with the value of a parameter passed to the transformation by the user.
Regards,
Sorin