SVN 1.8 and oXygen SVN Client

Oxygen general issues.
fleert

SVN 1.8 and oXygen SVN Client

Post by fleert »

hi all

I both use Tortoise and the oXygen client to manage my SVN repo, mostly because I like the XML-savvy diff-tool from oXygen way better than the diff of Tortoise.

Last week, Tortoise urged for an update. Unknowingly, I just ran the update to 1.8.0. And even more ignorant, I just ran the option from Tortoise to "upgrade the working copy" (or something like that).

But now, oXygen's SVN Client just states "the working copy is no longer under version control. Remove from list?" I clicked "No", so the local copy is still in my list; but apparently, I cannot use it any longer. I guess that it has to do with the upgrade. Any workaround?

I'm on oXygen 14.2, Win7.

regards,
Theun
florin

Re: SVN 1.8 and oXygen SVN Client

Post by florin »

Hello,

TortoiseSVN 1.8 got released two days ago (June 18), at the same time with Subversion 1.8.0.
It requires to upgrade the working copy to the new SVN 1.8 format, in order to work.

But, once do do this, older clients do not recognize the working copy anymore. The same applies for Syncro SVN Client bundled with oXygen, since your version supports only SVN 1.7 working copies (and older).

Neither the standalone distribution of Syncro SVN Client supports SVN 1.8, since it was just released released. Also, we don't have a target when Syncro SVN Client will support SVN 1.8, because:
  • we are using SVNKit library, which does not support SVN 1.8 yet;
  • we have to analyze all changes and new options of SVN 1.8 and also maintain compatibility with SVN 1.6 and SVN 1.7.
Unfortunately, there is no way to downgrade to the previous SVN 1.7 format, the upgrade being a one-way operation.
As a workaround, I can see only two possible options:
  • erase all ".svn" directories inside your working copy (search them using Windows Explorer) and check out again, over it. It should be faster, since it should rewrite only the SVN meta-data inside the ".svn" directories. Make sure everything is fine after.
  • erase the working copy and check it out again, using an SVN 1.7 client.
... and avoid upgrading using TortoiseSVN 1.8.

Best Regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin Avram
<oXygen/> XML Editor
fleert

Post by fleert »

hi Florin

Thanks for your clear answer, as I'm used to from Syncro... You set a high standard :-)
I will downgrade back to 1.7. Any plan, roadmap or even release date for supporting SVN1.8 in the next versions of <oXygen/>?

regards
Theun
florin

Post by florin »

Hi,

I already mentioned that we don't have a target date/version for supporting SVN 1.8 (two of the most important reasons were mentioned).

As a personal prediction, I can say this could be at the end of this year in the best scenario - this could mean SVN Client v10 or oXygen v16.

Best Regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin Avram
<oXygen/> XML Editor
stefanhinz

Post by stefanhinz »

Hello, Syncro Client team,

A happy Oxygen XML Editor customer here (since 2006). :-)

I just ran into the same issue after finding that the new VM I installed (openSuse 13.1) came with Subversion 1.8.5. Any chance you can come up with an ETA for the Syncro Client, i.e. when will it support SVN 1.8?

Cheers,

Stefan
florin

Post by florin »

Hello,

Currently, we work to support SVN 1.8. As an estimate, in the best-case, we could release official Syncro SVN Client with SVN 1.8 support in March.

Although SVNKit library supports SVN 1.8 since end of November, last year:
  • we identified a series of issues in the library, that still need to be solved;
  • library does not support SVN 1.7 anymore (but they have plans to support it back), and we think not all of our users are ready to move to SVN 1.8;
  • work is in progress to support changes/new features added with SVN 1.8, but also we need to keep compatibility with older versions (especially SVN 1.7).
    At this point, I can only tell that not all SVN 1.8 features will be available from the first release, but the basic/critical ones (related especially with the working copy) will be included.
Most probably, we will drop support for SVN 1.6, since it is an old version (even Apache Subversion does not support this version anymore) and it has enough behavioral differences compared with SVN 1.7/SVN 1.8.

What is sure: support for SVN 1.8 will be available starting with Syncro SVN Client 10 and oXygen 16.

Best Regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin Avram
<oXygen/> XML Editor
stefanhinz

Post by stefanhinz »

Thanks much, Florinn! Good luck with getting the SVN 1.8 issues addressed!

Stefan
juicejuice

Post by juicejuice »

Any news on this? I have a number of SVN working copies with this problem. We just purchased oXygen 15.2 which came with Syncro SVN Client build 2014022718.
florin

Post by florin »

Hi,

Almost done...
We support both SVN 1.7 and SVN 1.8 now. For SVN 1.8, there are still some final adjustments to be done and after it will enter the testing stage.

As an estimate, May could be the release month.

Best Regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin Avram
<oXygen/> XML Editor
juicejuice

Post by juicejuice »

That is great news, thanks for the speedy response. We look forward to the next version :)
juicejuice

Post by juicejuice »

florin wrote:What is sure: support for SVN 1.8 will be available starting with Syncro SVN Client 10 and oXygen 16.
For those keeping track, I can confirm that oXygen 16.0 does not include support for SVN 1.8. Shipped SyncroSVN version is 2014052022. I guess we will await oXygen 16.1 :)
florin

Post by florin »

Hi,

:oops: Well, this is embarrassing, but is true. Syncro SVN Client with SVN 1.8 support did not manage to catch the release of oXygen 16.
oXygen 16 development ended before we receive the final OK from the Syncro SVN Client testing team, thus the new SVN client was not bundled with oXygen.

oXygen 16.1 will bring support for SVN 1.8 (and this is absolutely sure) since Syncro SVN Client 10 with SVN 1.8 support will be released over a few weeks (2-3 weeks at most :wink:).

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin Avram
<oXygen/> XML Editor
piwiaus

Post by piwiaus »

Hi,

I am on oXygen XML Author 16.1, build 2014102117. Following the posts above, I anticipate that this should support SVN 1.8; but I do not see how to verify the SVN version within oXygen. I can see that SVNKit is release 1.8.5 -- is that the same as saying SVN 1.8 is supported? But I also see a bunch of system properties that suggest otherwise:
svnkit.upgradeWC false
svnkit.wc.17 true
svnkit.wc.17only true

Since our company installed SVN 1.8 on my desktop (Tortoise), it offers only to upgrade to 1.8 SVN file format, which suggests the current checkout (through the oXygen client) is not yet 1.8. Am I understanding correctly? And is it possible for me to switch over to 1.8 so that all my systems are correctly socialized?

Thanks in advance
PW
piwiaus

Post by piwiaus »

piwiaus wrote:I am on oXygen XML Author 16.1, build 2014102117. Following the posts above, I anticipate that this should support SVN 1.8...
I answered my question, thanks. I found the 1.8 support evidence in the radio buttons for creating a new working copy. So I have started afresh with a new copy, and this works fine both with oXygen SVN client (my preference) and Tortoise.

(And one day, perhaps I'll get around to cleaning up the old working copy... :( )
florin

Post by florin »

Hi,

oXygen 16.1 includes Syncro SVN Client with SVN 1.8 support.
Also, starting from this version, SVN 1.6 and older working copies are no longer supported, only SVN 1.7 and SVN 1.8.

The version of the currently loaded working copy is displayed in the application's status bar.

Best regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
http://www.syncrosvnclient.com
Florin Avram
<oXygen/> XML Editor
piwiaus

Post by piwiaus »

florin wrote:The version of the currently loaded working copy is displayed in the application's status bar.
Thanks, Florin. For anyone not seeing this in the oXygen status bar, the "application" here means (AFAICS) the Synchro SVN Client window that pops up when (in oxygen Author) you navigate to Tools > SVN Client.

It's a beautiful thing.