Abbreviation such as "e.g." gives spelling error

Oxygen general issues.
DanTemple

Abbreviation such as "e.g." gives spelling error

Post by DanTemple »

Using the Hunspell spelling checker in OxygenXML, it gives an error on any usage of e.g., for example

this will e.g. give a spelling error

It reports the error on the sequence "e.g" and even suggests correcting it to "e.g." (so it must know it's legal) - but if you do that, you get two periods and it still reports an error!

It states here http://www.oxygenxml.com/spell_checking.html that it is the same checker as used in Mozilla, but Firefox does not exhibit this problem.

I have not been able to find a setting to fix this. Any clues?
sorin_ristache

Re: Abbreviation such as "e.g." gives spelling error

Post by sorin_ristache »

Sorry, I don't get a spelling error for e.g. in either Text editing mode or in Author mode. I tried in Oxygen 16.1 on both Windows and Linux.

DanTemple wrote:It reports the error on the sequence "e.g" and even suggests correcting it to "e.g." (so it must know it's legal)
I get the same behavior, which is correct, since the spell checking dictionary sees e.g. as legal.
DanTemple wrote:but if you do that, you get two periods and it still reports an error!
I can't reproduce that. If I correct the e.g with the Replace button in the Spelling dialog box it will replace e.g with e.g. in the editor panel which is correct. I don't get two period characters.

In what type of editor panel did you check e.g. for spelling problems: an XML editor panel, a plain text one, etc.?

Maybe you have different spelling options? Do you get e.g. marked as a spelling problem in the XML editor panel after you go to Options -> Preferences -> Editor / Spell Check (or alternatively you press the Options button in the Spelling dialog box) and press the Restore Defaults and OK buttons?
Regards,
Sorin

<oXygen/> XML Editor Support
DanTemple

Post by DanTemple »

Aha. It only fails when the language is specified in the <concept> element, see below.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE concept PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA Concept//EN" "concept.dtd">
<concept id="concept_m2t_2cm_rq" xml:lang="en-US">
<title></title>
<shortdesc></shortdesc>
<conbody>
<p>This is a sentence with e.g. an abbreviation.</p>
</conbody>
</concept>
Then it fails on both Windows (with default settings) and Linux for me.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

It fails also without the xml:lang attribute, if I select the English (United States) spelling dictionary in the Spelling dialog box. The default spelling dictionary in Oxygen is English (generic) and this is why I did not get the problem before.

It is a bug in the English (United States) dictionary which is used by both Oxygen and Firefox. So I expect Firefox to report the same spelling problem on a Web page, in a form or in other type of editable box that has the xml:lang="en-US" attribute, because Oxygen does the spell checking with the same engine and dictionaries from Mozilla. Maybe the editable element (and all its ancestors) on the web page where you did not get the spelling problem in Firefox does not have this xml:lang="en-US" attribute.

The solution for now is to switch to one of the English (generic) or English (United Kingdom) dictionaries in the Spelling dialog box in the Oxygen application.
Regards,
Sorin

<oXygen/> XML Editor Support
DanTemple

Post by DanTemple »

Remarkable that no one has fixed this yet. I'll change to generic.